window glue???

HappyHourHero

ok, my drivers side window recently stopped working, the motor still works, so i took off the the door panel and took a look. it seems that the clips that hold the window aren't holding the window anymore, the glue is still on the the window part but is not sticking where its sopposed to go, so what kind of glue should i use to fix it?
thanks

If you have a place near you that specializes in auto window repair, you can get the correct glue from them. But a cheaper and just as effective way is to use JB Weld. But use the regular JB Weld and not the quik-set kind. Clean off as much glue from the glass first (if both clips have come off you can just pull the whole window out to clean it), and get as much out of the clips as you can as well. Also, they make metal clips to replace the plastic ones which of course are stronger...

If you've got the panel off, just take it to an independant glass shop. They took the glass out cleaned it and reglued it for me for $15.00. I haven't had a problem since. Its nice to do things yourself, but sometimes it is pennywise pound foolish. If you use the wrong glue you can crack your windows among other things. It should be a flexible glue, not a solid type and there are other issues.
ED

thanks for the info, i am going to to get my windows tinted next week and wanted to fix that before hand but maybe i'll just have them fix that as well.
thanks

I've used the JBWeld on 2-3 repairs over the past seven years and have never had any problems... $15 is really good to do the repair- the lowest quote I'd ever gotten was like $100!

Back