Power mirror switch

pirulo

My power mirror switch is not working prowerly.
bottom and right don't work, both on the drivers side and passenger side mirrors.
Where can I get the switch cheap.

Secondly, My vanity light on the passenger side doesn't work. I checked and the bulbs are fine. Is there a fuse for this.
Help appreciated.

thanks

I couln't find it in parts for sale page. Could you please give me the link, where you saw it.
thanks

Take it out and sand & clean the contacts. Water gets into them and causes the contacts to corrode, so its an easy fix. good luck

Thanks for all your replys.
vancouverBC, I look at the mirrors and I couldn't figure out how to remove them. Could you give me some tips.
Secondly in the Sillicon Valley, the junk yard price for the switch is more than the dealers price and when I told them they say people are buying and I didn't get it.
The dealer is quoteing for $41 and the junk yard from $50 to $60.

Are you sure the dealer and the junk yard are talking about the same part? Sounds like the junk yard is thinking you want the mirror itself, when what you really want is the interior driver side arm rest cover. The arm rest cover just happens to have a mirror switch, door lock switch and windows switches, but of course you're aren't interested in the window or door lock switches. ;)

There is just no way a small cheap plastic used electrical part like the mirror switch could in any concievable way be more than $10.

You may have to go out and look for one in the yard itself.

well, not necessarily. Remember you are dealing with Salvage guys, they are the biggest crooks out there, next to insurance agents and pawn shops. I once had a salvage yard quote me $75 for a headlight switch. I told him I could get it for $35 brand new at the dealer, so he came down to $30 HAHA, F-U! I hate dealing with Salvage yards! But back on topic, why are you taking the mirror's off???? If you just need the switch, all you do is pull off the door trim with the switch and push the switch up through the door trim piece.

Theres only 1 screw that holds it on, then unplug it and sand the contacts, you can also put on some dielectric grease to protect them from moisture. good luck

Outside View
MirSwitOut.jpg
Inside View
MirSwitIn.jpg

pirulo: To take the mirror off, you just pull off the plastic cover inside the door and remove 3 8mm nuts that hold the mirror on.
good luck

Last edited:
Thanks for the input.
I did remove the inside switch and the contacts are clean.
vancouverBC, when you said to clean, I thought about the outside contacts near the mirror.
If I think again, the switch might be bad, because same operations on both sides doesn't work (down and right side).
vancouverBC thanks for the pictures.

TbirdSCFan, I talked to another junk yard place, he said $15 + tax.

TbirdSCFan, I am waiting for your post on how to replace Lower Control Arm in the front. I remember in your other post, that you will be working on them this Spring. If you can take some pic. it will be great.

thanks a lot guys.

Pirulo, it is your switch. A few years ago my car was broken into at an airport parking lot and the car sat open in the rain for several days. After that is when my switch quit, and it was the down/right arrows that didn't work.

Now that you've got it out and everyone agrees that its the switch, its time to pry the back of the switch apart and see if you can fix it. I had to do that to a VW Passat mirror switch yesterday and it works perfectly now, it had a copper plate inside that had turned green/black from water & oxidation. Or you could just spray contact cleaner down into it from the top. If your repair attempts work, great, if not, who cares, you were buying another 1 anyway. Good luck

Thanks guys.. This morning I go to adjust my mirrors... my switch is on the blink also. It feels very stiff and doesn't work on the pass side and works very slowly (up/down only) on the driver's side. Guess that's what I get for responding to the thread :eek:

Back