BFG Drag Radials and the Highway

Big Cat Davo

Alright, in a bid to post some more respectable numbers for my tire spinning Cat (wheel hop in first and second, occationally spin in third) I am looking to get a set of BFG Drag Radials, 255-50R16. My big question would be can I run these on the Highway, say a five hour drive, or 2.5 five hour drive at around 75-80 MPH. Does anybody have any experience with these beasts . . . I am sure better driving would help my times more than the tires, but I need a new set for the Cat and well . . . so if anybody has any input I am all ears. I have also heard that Nittos wear better, keep in mind that the car will see mostly city, some highway miles and about 5-7 trips to the Strip.

Yes you can but those tires wear very fast. Also like Edman1000 said what out for the water, if it is raining don't go over 30 :D.

Victor

David

If you want something to drive on and race on, I would agree about getting the Nitto drag radials. They have nearly as much tread and water channeling ability as their street tires do.

BFGs are nearly slick and while they are much more grippy on the track they will suck in the rain.

David

Thanks

Thank you Mr. Neibert . . . are the Nittos the only option? Does anybody else make Drag radials? Do you have any sizes handy for the Nittos, keep in mind they will be going on stock rims.

Dave

Another thing about driving the BFG drag radials on the street is they will pick up every bit of junk and pebbles on the road. Not a good thing.

What you should do is this: get an extra set of stock SC wheels and mount the BFG's on those. Then you can throw them in the trunk and put them on at the track (well OK, you can't really fit both tires in the trunk - you have to put the back seats down too).

Stock SC wheels are fairly cheap and certainly cheaper in the long run than wearing out your BFG drag radials.

Todd J here!
Posting under the other halfs ID!
Just though I'd add if you want an all around good tire..I'd reccomend the BFG KDW's..I've heard good things from Jeramie S( 92 Bird)..Hes running a 5 spd with a Dr Fred Cam and rebuild..Likely about 300RWHP and I beleive he had H rated tires before going to the KDWs..He said they are great and the car will hook when before once you got it spinning,...thats all it would do..spin,spin ,spin
He said he really likes the KDW tires. I think they are either Vor Z rated to! A bit pricy maybe but well worth it

I run the Nitto Drags on the street & hiway but they are'nt that good in the rain they are better than the BFGs which I never go to the track Without!
I'm thinking about trying the BFG KDWs on Micheles 93 5 spd
The KDW supposedly stands for killer,Dry,Wet traction for what its worth!
And they should be available in the stock tire size!

Last edited:
My brother also has the new KDWS tires from BFG. He has been really impressed with them also. The new Mercury Maruader's come with them stock(302HP, 318TQ, 3.55rear). On dry, clean pavement, if you punch it they won't hardly even bark. They just hook up and go. They are definetly some nice tires, IMO.

Thomas

Back