Considering changing to 3:27...have questions

Top Shelf SC

I have a 91 5-speed in great shape and considering changing the rear end to 3:27 gears. I have surfed around and found some out of a mustang cobra that I could buy and need some help at this point. They are 3:27 with 8.8 ford housing..but

I like working on my SC, but this might be a project I would not tackle. If I have the gears, are there many mechanics that would do the switch or is this some that only a ford dealership would do?

Looking for examples of what others have done and how much money should I be spending on this project. Any help out there?

This is probably not a job for the novice, as it does require some skill and special tools for getting the gears to mesh at the proper depth. A good speed shop that does Mustang stuff might be your best bet. It certainly is not a dealer only kind of upgrade.

At least you could pull the pumpkin and take it in to have the gears changed. Might be a good time to replace seals, bearings and clutches. It will run a couple hunded bucks for parts and labor.

Another option would be to get a 3.27 pumpkin out of an Automatic trans SC. It would have the gears you want and you could just swap out the pumpkins.

This article on the Corral will give you some idea of what is involved in swapping gears and rebuilding a diff:

http://www.corral.net/tech/drivetrain/gears.html

Back