Altenator Upgrade

djgross

I've been doing some research on upgrading the alternator. I've got prices for a 170 & 200 amp units. Most of the instuctions I've found deal with Mustangs or V8 T-birds.

Does anyone have instructions/photos for an 89 SC? Apparently there is a upgrade to the wiring. Does this new wire run from the alternator to the battery or from the alternator to the starter? What length wire do you need?

Also, the 200 amp unit requires that the bracket be modfied by grinding. Has anyone done this?

If you udgraded did you change/add any wiring?

TIA,

Duane

well they are almost the same. The SC altenator has one connector where as the Mustang altenator has 2, the mustanghas a single wire connector that I believe is a tach adapter wire. I used a SC altenator in my mustang and left the tach adapter wire loose sicne the SC alt. did not have anywhere to plug it in, car ran fine.

SO a Mustang alt should work fine in a SC just won't have a wire to plug intot he tach adapter spot.

I have a 200amp alt im my SC.......i upgraded the ground wire from the Alt to the Battery.

it was built for the SC...Powermaster is the company......

Todd

I have it on my car. Mine is actually a 200 amp 3G chrome unit I got from Mr. Alternator.

The unit has similar mounting ears but the enlarged areas where the bolts that hold the two halves of the case together are oriented differently with respect to those mounting ears. This causes these case areas to hit the SC PS mounting bracket in several places. I was able to grind down the aluminum bracket and get the unit to fit. Took some work with the bracket in the car, but wasn't too bad. Even the little angle bracket at the alt bottom went back on. It is easiest to do the grinding work with the upper IC tube and coil pack removed. Cover everything to keep the aluminum dust from getting on and in everything.

The bottom bolt (long one) goes in just like stock. The top bolt is a larger size on the 3G. I found a brass bushing at a hardware store to put in the top alternator hole and used the SC bolt. You need to use the pulley from the stock SC alt (8 rib vs 6 rib on the 3G) and be sure and use the nut from the 3G alt. The nuts appear to be the same size but the threads are different. Also, watch when you take off your old pulley since some alternators need that spacer that is may be behind the pulley. Without that spacer the pulley will rub the alt body and will not be aligned properly,

I also got the wiring pigtail from Mr. Alternator complete with new watertight connector. I took the time re-do my 89 harness from the fenderwell to the alt. It has all those fusible links and was in bad shape from repairs over the years. One of the main differences in the two units is that there is an extra wire that may need to be looped back to the "S" (stator) connection on the larger 3 prong plug. (Tom at Mr. Alternator says this could be left out.)

I even have pics for a real write-up, but just have not done it. Another easier way to go would just be to have someone rebuild your stock SC alternator for higher amp output. Mr. Alternator PA Performance or a local alt shop can do that.

Looks right at home!

swb5eng2.jpg

Everytime I see George's engine bay I get ideas.

Hey George. What is that guage dial I see? Fuel pressure?

Have you investigated a remote reservoir for our P/S pumps? I see that little yellow top peaking out and it reminded me of a remote one I saw installed on a Chevy.

Good stuff George

I'm still grinning every time I look at the Cobra front brakes I put on using your article in CT! :D Keep up the good work!

Thanks, guys! The gauge is a VDO fuel pressure gauge. I had my machinist make up a little adapter out of stainless steel to install both it and the schrader valve. The adapter also helped to orient the gauge at the correct angle and height.

I have been looked at remote power steering reservoirs like they make for the street rod guys. A remote reservoir with some nice braided lines would look a whole lot better than the stock reservoir!

Some are really nice looking. It is funny you mention the reservoir top peeking out. Most people know something is not quite right about, but can't figure out what. I was actually able to turn it 180 degrees since I move the windshield reservoir from the fender.

I like that, "my machinist".... George you are just crack me up.

Do you have him on retainer? ;)

I'm sure you already know, great job on the car. It shows us all what can be done and gives us all ideas.

Back