super high idle!!! please help!!!

SCboost

I just bought a perfect, awesome running 90' SC. I got it saturday. It has been perfect since. (only 3 days but still) and today i get home and go inside for 10 min come out and it idles at 3 grand. it won't go back down. i un-hook the TPS and it idles at a little before 2 grand. and with hte idle air control unhooked at hte same time it idles at 1700 rpm. please help. charger makes a loud moan when i ahve to shut it off at 3 grand. also i checked hte fluid level on hte super charger and it is a 1/4 inch below the threads on the hole. is this too low? if so where do i get the synthetic supercharger lubricant? thanks again. steve.

Idle air motor is probably bad. Probably needs to be cleaned. Use Throttlebody cleaner. (not brake cleaner or carb cleaner)

You can get SC fluid at the GM dealership. Ask For late model Grand prix.

Jeff

You have a vacuum leak somewhere in the intake after the Throttle Body.

Since it's new for you check the simple stuff. Have someone help you pinpoint that groan you hear when the engine shuts off but shutting the car off while you are under the hood. My guess is that it's the big nut on the top of the SC that has worked itself loose.

Yep, a new idle control solenoid could be necessary. The easy way to check is to yank the connector on the solenoid and see if it will start. If it won't, then the IAC is somehow involved. If it does, you have a leak somewhere letting air into the engine.

where exactly is this idle (air?) motor? im his friend and will probably be helping him trouble shoot it. ill try searching on this site. later

My bet is also that it's the IAC. Also, get it from FORD!! I purchased one from autozone and they wanted you to mount it upside down, and it wouldn't even fit because it hit the oil filler neck. This is one part that is just best to get from Ford.

Here's a picture of its location. BTW, it's held on with two bolts, and the botton one is kind of a PITA to reach.

Dale

iac.jpg

Back