Exhaust ??? Delete mufflers, run flowmaster muff-

phils89sc

I was thinking about a post I saw awhile ago about the placement of mufflers in the exhaust and how the exhaust sounds. I got to thinking about it and was wondering what you all might think of these two setups...

1. 2.25" or 2.5" downpipes (with cats) from the headers to the 'resonator'. Delete the factory resonator in favor of a ""Big Block" Flowmaster 2 chamber muffler with dual 2.5" inlets and a single 3" outlet. From here (with 92-up style gas tank and exhaust of course) we run a 3" pipe to the tail of the car and split it off into 2 x 2.25" or 2 x 2.5" tail pipes, no mufflers.

2. 2.25" or 2.5" downpipes (again, with cats, required where I live) to a Flowmaster dual inlet, dual outlet (2.25 or 2.5" for both ends). From the dual outlets on the Flowmaster, run dual 2.25" or 2.5" pipes to the tail and fabricate tail pipes to exit the back of the tbird, again, no mufflers except the new one where the resonator was.

On the second option, I am not sure if Flowmaster makes such a muffler. I have found the muffler for option 1 though, just not sure about the second option.

Since we would be eliminating the resonator in favor of a 'normal' muffler, and not using mufflers at the tail of the car, how do you think these two setups would sound? I am sure they would be as good as a Borla system, but then again, I don't have $700.00 to spend on Borla either.

Any opinions, part numbers, etc. would be welcome.

P.S. Anything is better than stock exhaust.

Phil Stocker

Bassani makes a dual in/dual out muffler. Not cheap. I'm sure there are others out there.

I think the consensus is that you need a resonator and the mufflers or you will get a droning, ricey sound. There may be exceptions, but then you also have to factor in different people's taste in sound. That's what can't be conveyed over the internet, even with sound files, unless they're really good. Having an '89, and not mentioning a gas tank swap to 92+, that will be a factor in running a dual exhaust, unless it hangs way down, which I don't think you'd want. IMO, unless you're in one of the higher HP SC's, you probably don't need a dual exhaust. This is a V6 we're talking about, even though it's supercharged. Do what you can, and what your wallet will allow for your needs.
$750--SCP exhaust, probably the best
$400--Flowmaster cat back (I have it and like it, improvement over stock, but not optimal at all)
$????--custom job.

I wouldn't cut corners to save cash by cutting out resonators and mufflers. Besides, a dual in/out muffler won't be cheap. Probably about what you'd pay for 2 separate mufflers. Watch the parts for sale, someone may be selling one they upgraded from.

Sounds like mad noise,on either setup you mention....keep in mind that the resonator area is long ,but the muff you put in there can't be too deep or you could run into a clearance issue.
I would be curious to hear a setup like your considering,someone started a thread about exhaust sound bites but so far nobody has put up any files.

Ive had a few SC's with different exhaust COmbos..Currently Im running the SCP exhaust..Iliek it..Very quiet and very mellow..However Im redoing my setup and going with the Full lenght Kooks along with a true dual and an X pipe...The X should help somewhat with the droning..Ill also be using Borla XS mufflers outback..

Now here ar ea few CHEAP exhausts that dont sound bad

#1....junk stock cats and resonator and add a y pipe with one high flow cat..Not that loud..Slight rumble...If you do mufflers with this setup Id go with dynomax super turbos or borla xs

#2...Junk same as above but add two high flow cats and two dynomax or borlas xs outback..Same setup but with two cats...I liked the sound and got little to no drone..Actually sounded pretty dam good..

Everyone has an opinion..But id stay away from most mufflers except dynomax turbos or borla XS if you plan on removing the resonator,,,WHich Id do:O)..HOWEVER..if you dont pan on running any cats...The car will drone..My experience..

exhaust pipes

Ihave the setup with just cats a y pipe and straight thur, sounds great...................................... fast freddie

Back