check engine and others...

sctbird91

Problem #1: For the past few days, when I have been on my way to school on the freeway the check engine light would come on for 2 minutes then go off. Then it would come back on for a minute and go off again. I know the manual says "if the light comes on and goes back off it means the problem has corrected itsself." But should I do anything about it?

Problem #2: When I am driving at a higher speed(over 40) and I take my foot off the accellerator, the car vibrates like the wheels are off balanced. But I just got them balanced and aligned today. Could it be the breaks or what?

these damn machines

Hey, my 1990 N/A t bird had the same thing with the check engine light and i damn hated the freaking thing because i could not find anyhting wrong witht he car that would make the light come on... I was just waiting for it to burn out.. so im really not sure what it is because i drove it for like a year with that light coming on and off. Im no expert, but i would just say to keep an eye out, hopefully someone else can be of some help./

As for your vibration,, i would say it is still unbalanced tires. When i got my new tires on, i had them balanced THREE times before it was fine. The first time it was done made the car UNBEARABLE at highway speeds. I had it done twice by one place and then had another do it the final time which seemed to correct it. The second time i had it done, it was better but did what you are saying yours does, when taking foot of the gas going about 40+ it would vibrate... It was like the damn place's machine was off or something or the "mechanics" didnt do it right. All it takes is the slightest little thing to be off in the rim for the car to vibrate. Hopefully that is it because i had the same problem. hope this helps a little bit... good luck-
Damon

One very possible reason for your vibration is the driveshaft. I would recommend taking a look at your U-joints to see how much play they have in them. After all, it doesn't cost anything to crawl under there and look.

i would bet that your o2 sensor(s) are shot get yourself to autozone and have them run codes, i was getting 176? and 189 on my left o2 cause it was flaky.

Check the drive shaft where it bolts to the rear end. I had the same problem and found the flange bolts where loose. This was kind of freaky because I had not been working back there at all.

You can change them from underneath the car.. They are not that difficult to replace... its just one plug per O2 sensor..

i think autozone has them for around $50 apiece

i got raped when they did mine after the hg job, $110 APIECE!!!!!!!!

and one of those failed, i have a used one in there from a friend of mine, i might try to put the other one back in there eventually (it turned out to be a loose vac hose causing the ce light, but the o2 could have still been bad)

Why don't you scan the computer for codes first (can be done with a paperclip) before throwing parts at the car? It could be a million different things.

Back