rear window removal

I've done a few MN12 windshields and a Cougar rear window, but have yet to remove the Thunderbird rear window. It would basically be about the same as the front windshields. The trim on the sides of the glass must be removed, then the upper and lower trim pieces snap off. Then what I do is this: Get a few fine guitar strings or piano wire (the kind that is a single wire, not the kind that has a wire coiled around a center one). Push the wire through the glue at the edge of the window so that one end of the wire is outside the window and one end is inside. Then I have one person hold the wire on the inside of the car with a pair of Vise-grips, and one person on the outside. Working together, use the wire to saw through the glue, going all the way around the window. Pay attention to the angle you're holding the wire at, especially on the inside. If you're not careful, you'll cut through the edge of your headliner. Once you cut all the way around the window, push out at the top from the inside. Have an Exacto knife ready to cut any strands of glue that still hold the glass to the car. Just be really careful, and plan on spending quite a bit of time. If you rush, I can almost guarantee the glass will break.

Back