New head gskts, Runs like Crap! Help!!!

Edman1000

Alright, just finished the Head Gaskets and I'm having more trouble. It's all back togehter but it runs like Crap. Gotta keep my foot on the gas to keep it running, gotta play with the gas pedal to get it started. It's turning over hard like one of the cylinders is full of liquid. you guys got any places to start? Please help, I'm losing faith in your babies!!!

If you used the Haynes manual the cylinder ID on the coil pack is printed wrong. It should be like this.

PlugandWireLayout.jpg

David

That's because the supercoupe doesn't have a TFI module. Rather we have a DIS/ICM with a 1x3x6 coil pack (1 pack, 3 coils, 6 plugs). The 4.6s have 2x2x4 coil packs (2packs, 2coils, 4 plugs) and a TFI module (or may a couple of em).

The 4.6's and the N/A 3.8 also have a (Powertrain control module) PCM which is another name for EEC (Electronic Engine Control). Ford techs use the names interchangeably to mean the same thing even though they're not quite the same. This had me confused also. :confused:

Hey Dave,

That's the same Firing order that's in my haynes manual. It's been checked four times. It almost seems like it's out of time. When it's cranking over and you let off the key it seems like it spins backward a bit, just like it too far advanced. Do you think there is any wiring that could have been bumped or hooked up wrong???? I'm dying here!

Camshaft Position Sensor?

It sounds like the Cam Sensor was installed 180* "out of phase". Flip it around 180* and see if it clears up.

Please recheck your manual one more time on the clyinder ID number for the front row of the coil pack.

Most Haynes manuals have it printed as 456 not 564 as it should be. If the wiring is correct, then it must be a rather large vacuum leak.

How fid you reseal the IC tubes ? Get a can of carb cleaner and spray connections with engine running. You will know when you spray the spot that is leaking.

If you have a vacuum leak your boost/vacuum gauge should drop almost instantly to "O" when engine is turned off instead of the 4 to 7 seconds it normally takes.

David

can that be right?
1-4-2-5-3-6??????

that is front left, front right, middle left, middle right, rear left, rear right?????

I thought it would alternate something like

1-6-3-4-2-5 to cut down on vibration, resonance, etc.

.DO NOT USE MY NUMBERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

while i am good with cars, i have never turned a wrench on my SC except to do a fuel filter and remove my air silencer box.

won't Start mang!

I don't think it's a vacuum leak, the car won't even hardly run. Anyone ever have any problems with the cam sensor or the crank trigger? When we unplug the ICM. The car cranks no problem but when it's plug in it sounds like the timing is way off. (we rechecked the order numerous times) I don't know what to do.

Re:plug wire placement

Check your plug wires again!
Plugs 1 and 5 are on the first (passenger side) coil.
2 and 6 are on the center coil.
3 and 4 are on the last (driver's side) coil

My Haynes manual was wrong on page 2A-1
SonySC@hotmail.com

Did you seal the IC tubes up good? When i replaced my HG's my car ran like total crap after i finished. Turned out to be a vacuum leak at the intercooler tubes. I would go back a double check them. They have to be sealed perfect for your SC to run properly

starting problem

i ran into the same problem a long time ago on my 90 sc and it turned out to be a vacuum leak. the air charger tube were leaking try starting it and have a friend spray propain or starting fluid, carb cleaner, etc, around the joints and see if the car idles better. it also will tell you where the leaks are.

Back