Factory CD unit cycling even with power off

dklitzke

Anyone every experience this? My factory CD unit is still cycling without a CD in it and the power is off. I just got me a factory shop manual in the mail and haven't had time to look it up. Is it the unit or the wiring, do you suspect?

Also, my low coolant light is on most of the time, even though I topped it off. It will come on intermittently. What's up with that?

Any help will be appreciated.

Don Klitzke
Prospect, TN
Member # 1748

1995 SC, auto, Kooks coated headers, SCP exhaust, 5% pulley.
Soon to have Addco swaybar installed.

Sounds freaky. Most CD players like to have a always on 12v battery so that if you shut the car off in the middle of a song it can take it's time to spin down and move the optical pickup out of the way. So if it's still doing stuff, I'd say its more likely broken rather than that you have a wiring problem. Something inside has failed to realize that the key is off.

Just a guess.

And the low coolant light. Pull the cap and check the sensor in the coolant tank. Maybe it dried up due to running low before and now it's hanging up. I think it's a simple float type of switch.

Sorry to confuse you. i meant the CD keeps cycling with on on-off switch in the off position. It's off when the ingnition is off. Thanks, by the way for the help.

Don

That would still mean the CD is having trouble figuring out when off is off.

I don't have any info on the wiring for the radio but either the system is telling the CD to be on and it shouldn't. Or the CD is deciding to be On by itself.

Does the CD do this even if you have the radio on FM or AM? Or is it only when it's on CD but turned off?

Screwy CD

It does it whether the radio is on AM or FM, and even cuts in and interupts the radio broadcast. Also, when it interupts the radio, it overrides the volume control so you can't turn the noise down. What really baffles me is that it does it even when you have the unit turned off. Tomorrow is Saturday, and I plan to bend me a couple of those removal tools out of coat hanger wire or something, and pull it out. I hope it can be fixed for a reasonable price.

It will depend. You can probably get a new head unit with built in CD for the same price, or more likely, less.

Then you can add cupholders!:D

any pix of those fabled cupholders?

I have seen several threads about those cup holders, but never seen what they look like. Anybody got any pix of them?

Don

'95 SC auto, Kooks coated headers, SCP exhaust, 5% pulley.

Here is a pic from my car:
cupholdermod.jpg

cupmoddrivlook.jpg

Back