HP pick-up on Exhaust Mods

caleb_chambers

It's my understanding that you can aquire alot of power from replacing the really restrictive sc exhaust. assuming that you replace the 90 degree bends in the exhaust with straight tubes/pipes/whatever and ditched the resonator and neck-down place, ditched the cat. cov.'s, and replaced the stock mufflers with performance ones (pretty much nothing but bends and two mufflers), how much horsepower could be gained over stock? thanx

rice...

If you go with that set-up your car WILL sound like BB's in a tin can no doubt. I did it, so I know. You should expect an exceptional gain. How much? I would guess 20 horse but i dont' know for sure. When i got my exhaust done and strapped on the 10% pulley, it was like a whole different car. But notice my HG's are not gone :*(

resonator...

so to get basically the same performance gain w/o the bs sound, you just replace the resonator with a performance one or keep the stock on on, but, either way, get rid of the neck down after it?

most

I would just do the whole exhaust, you will wish u had later and it's much better in the long run, and it seems like you are going for power gains, so you're better off to spring for the extra money, which is what im going to do. My car is stock performance wise and one thing i have learned if anything is to go all the way, all the time. You'll end up wishing youd gottena bigger TB, MAF or whatever, just pay the extra bucks and get it because you'll be much glader that you did. Im glad i know this now as others find it out the difficult way. lol, But yes, ive read and heard that the most restrictive part of the exhaust is the resonator, and those 90 degree bends on the cats dont help much either :D good luck--
Damon

Think its realistic to get 25 horses with headers, high flow cats, magnaflow res. and 2 good flowing mufflers?

hmmm

Im not really sure about HP gains with exhaust.. most say about 15-20 depending what u get... but some have told me that they have added 15HP in exhaust and havent felt much difference. Also, you usually lose some boost because the back pressure is much less so most compensate with a 5 or 10% puller but be careful with those...
-Damon

Resonator is the most restrictive part ,followed by stock cats. The stock cats are not great,but if your open from there back you'll feel some decent performance ! I did my exhaust backwards ( back to front ) in 3 sections cause i could'nt afford to do it all at once,so i know of what i speak !
Get rid of the stock res. , the rest is a matter of sound....

wow

hey JSC, did u really feel some decent performance by doing exhaust? most say they dont feel very much... when i open my exhaust i was going to slap on a 5% pulley... u think that would be real noticeable..

First leg was resonator back = no difference
pulled out air silencer= sounded different,same feeling
Magnaflow resonator = definite difference!! They say let your engine breathe and now mine does, Now i can hear my intake,more blower whine and sounds beefy at idle and screams under boost:D As far as speed goes It's hard to say ( think it gets psychological at this point ) I don't feel a loss of low end torque,but that probably would'nt happen till i get into the Headers, cats stage = need $$$$$$$

Jeff

interesting

cool, so what all do u have for exhaust right now? i plan on getting that magnaflow resonator from supercoupeperformance... i just love that way it looks haha. Thats what im looking for, a low quiet rumble at idle and maybe while driving but under boost, i want blower whine and backed up with some exhaust.. haha. but i guess we all want that.
-Damon

Damon,
Stock stainless 2.25 into magnaflow (in 2.50/3" out ) 3" center section to a y section that goes 2.50 into the flowmasters.
I know what you mean about the 5 % pulley ! Sounds like fun ,but I'll probably throw some money into my intake,so i can get the full benefit of a pulley.

Jeff

Back