Power Window Failure

TheNuthing

Well, too my annoyance i discovered my drivers side power window to have stopped working. I assume it was the motor that just went out, but i havnt had a chance to test the switch, wiring, motor, etc.

Heres the thing that made me decide to post this. I was sitting in my car at night while i was letting it warm up, and I bumped the switch for the window, and it made my lights dim, not extremely, but enough for me to notice. I was just wondering what that meant, cuz im not sure. If anyone has a reason for that and could let me know (so i could narrow down my diagnosis before i pull my door apart) I would appreciate it.

Also, if i go to the wrecking yard for a motor, will a passenger side motor work in the drivers side? or are they geared for specific sides? just a question. thanks.

If you try to roll the window up when it is already up all the way, it will dim the lights. Even when functioning correctly.

Hmm...I thought I tried that on the functioning passenger side and I didnt notice anything. I could be wrong though, but thanks for the input. By the lights dimming, I know im getting power to my switch, so I guess its probly just the motor. But if anyone can answer about the left/right motors and whatnot, I'd appreciate it before I go pull one out of a wrecking yard, cuz I think a new one will be toooooooo expensive.

I believe the motors are "side specific" due to the location of the mounting bracket, drive gear, etc. I know there are listings for driver and passenger side assemblies. It may be possible to adapt the motor to fit the driver's side, I'm not sure.

Yes. The 2 are not interchangeable. The cases are different, but the gears and internal parts are probably the same. I tried to patch up a couple of motors years ago and it isn't a real simple task. About the same as rebuilding a starter.

Back