Need some Tranny Help

joshbea6

I'm planning some pretty hefty mods for my 90 SC and I need to know if the tranny will handle the new power.

The mods are as follows:

1. either Morana 4.2 stroker, or Coy Miller Stage 1 engine
2. Magnum Powers Magnaport II supercharger and inlet plenum
3. Magnum Powers Intercooler
4. either SCP or Magnum Powers fresh air induction system
5. larger MAF and intake
6. SCP or custom exhaust and Kooks Headers
7. 3:27 gears for rear end
8. Brake upgrade and 17" rims

I am planning to pull the tranny in the next week to get it looked at as it is presently slipping out of some gears and needs a rebuild. I really need to know if I need to "beef it up" any to handle the added torque and horsepower that these mods will allow me to generate.

Is that car on your signature your car, or your parts car?

If you do have a manual, disreguard the below.

I'm assuming that you have an AOD? In that case, yes, you will need beefed up internal components. My personal suggestion is to get either the Lentech Street Terminator Plus or Art Carr Extreme AOD. Either of those will be able to handle all the power that a SC can put into it. I would not suggest getting the AOD rebuilt by a local shop because 1) they normally don't beef up the internal components and 2) I have seen that they fail quite often and need to be replaced 2,3 even 4 times. The above trannies will cost moreinitially, but will cause you less headaches in the long run. But it is your $$!

If you have a manual, from what I understand, it is pretty strong. A simple rebuild will probably suffice. Of course, with a better clutch, but I think the internals of the ?M5r2? are strong enough to handle most things that the SC engine will put into it.

Last edited:
My signature car is the 90 SC 5spd, the parts car that I have is a 95 LX AOD. I will have parts that will be available to post later. and yes before I'm bombarded, the interior, trunk lid, rear turn signals, tranny, and front spindles are already spoken for.

I really need to know if the M5R2 tranny will handle about 400 horsepower, and the kind of torque that I am going to be generating with the mods that I listed above.

Thanks

Back