location of radiator fluid level sensor??

thunderstruck

My warning light for low radiator fluid is on, but the radiator is full. Where is the sensor located for it, and how do I test it? Thanks for any help.

In the overflow bottle on the passenger side fender wall. There are 2 levels Hot and Cold on the side of the bottle but they are kind of hard to see. That's where the sensor is located.

The marks on the overflow are the indentations you see on the side. There is lettering, but it's very hard to make out. The top indentation is the full level for a hot engine, the lower is full level for cold. I overfilled mine, to the hot level when it was cold, but it hasn't risen and come out.

I removed my sensor when I put in a new overflow tank to clean it up and reinstall it on the new tank. I used distilled vinegar to clean the sensor probe, but it was pretty gummed up with tape residue that somebody had put around it, probably to seal it or something. The normal coolant resdiue came off with the vinegar, though.

Try painting the tops of the letters with a model paint pen top help it to stand out. I used the same color yellow that is on the coolant filler cap and it looked pretty good. Also clean the tank inside and out while you've got it out. You would be surprised at the stuff that collects in there.

my low radiator light stays on when it is full too. so i should just take the sensor out (the thing on top with the wire connecting to it) and clean it with distilled vinigar? its really annoying when the light i always coming on and i know my overflow isnt low.

That should help, I think you can scrape off the contacts. I did mine. Maybe someone else has as well.

That has worked for me, too. I've also had the hose fitting at the bottom of the overflow reservoir clog up with silt and keep it full and reading Ok on the maintenance monitor while the radiator ran low and let the engine run hot.

Back