WTB: SC diff and axles

KClarke

My 91 3.8 n/a Cougar differential is on the way out. The bearings are shot and have been getting worse during the past year. When the time is right (complete failure) to affect repairs I'd consider upgrading to a SC 8.8 diff, axles and any other associated hardware that would be required for the swap. Please advise if anyone has these parts available now, or keep this request in mind when parting an SC. Used 7.5 pumpkins would also be considered.

Thanks

I've got a spare pumpkin with 2.73:1 gears, but they came out of the parts car, which I never ran, so I have no idea what kind of shape they're in. I do have the half-shafts, but I want to keep the thicker one to swap onto my SC, so that I'll be running fat shafts on both sides of the car.

I originally planned to have the spare pumpkin rebuilt so that I could swap it into my car, but if you need one, Keith, then I could probably just work with the one in my car right now.

Let me know.

Cheers,

Sean

Hi Sean,

I'm not sure what is needed, but recall Ed saying I'd require axles to go with the pumpkin. If it's anything like the Turbo Coupe rear end swap on a fox chassis there will be a lot more than pumpkins and axles involved to accomodate the disc brakes.

Perhaps I'm better off just searching for a used 7.5 diff, but I'd like to keep my options open. Thanks for the diff offer. I'll let you know when I fully determine the requirements to do the swap properly.

Keith,

No prob. I really don't think that spare pumpkin is going anywhere fast. Just let me know if you decide you could use it.

Best regards,

Sean

Keith, don't quote me on this, but I don't think that you would need new half-shafts. Perhaps it would be a good idea to ask Ed to cross reference this in his computer at work. I know in a "live axle" (Fox body) they are different diffs and axles, but can't be sure about the indy stuff - would make sense though, more $$$ for Ford.

As soon as I get a chance to swap the spare fat shaft into my car, I'll have a pair of thin stock half-shafts available to go with the spare pumpkin. If this stuff is going into a NA T-Bird, then using two thin shafts shouldn't pose a problem.

Cheers,

Sean

Back