The bolt is out!!!

94scnflt

Well part one of my nightmare is over, I still have a long way to go. My HB/crank shaft pulley bolt snapped last weekend while running down the freeway at 80MPH. I went to Sears (I love that place) and bought an easy out set and the strongest drill bit on the shelf. I got home, put the car on jack stands, pulled the radiator fan and front sway bar, drilled a pilot hole then put the easy out in. The bolt came out nice and smooth. The threads are fine, and there seems to be no damage from the pulley falling off.
Anyway, got a couple of concerns. I see oil at the bottom of the crank shaft seal, is this bad? Second, what are the chances the internals could be screwed from doing 2800 rpm's to nothing? I guess the oil pump kept oil going to the engine until I was completly stopped, (about 30 secs)? Any help would be great.
Now the buid up process from this is going to be BHJ HB, and 3 piece overdrive pulley set. I wish I had the money for a FMIC. Last dyno put me at 256RWHP and 370RWT, since then I changed out my pulley (detonation problem, went from 10% to 89-93 pulley) and I am putting the new parts on. I hope I can see 270-280RWHP. Thanks for all the help, especially to those that helped when I first posted "crank shaft pulley fell off on the freeway.":D

Glad to hear it's coming along for you.

At the power level your at, you're getting close to needing bigger injectors and DEFINITELY need a bigger fuel pump. Holley 255 lph Forced Induction pump and some 42# injectors are in order. If you don't have them already. The stock 94-95 '36#' injectors are really only 34.3#. The early SC 30#ers are good for 260RWHP and the late SC 34.3#ers would be good for about 280-290RWHP tops. And that's running it right to the edge.

Steve

Don't worry too much about the oil at the crank seal, this most likely happened when the balancer wobbled around before it broke. You will need to replace the old one with a new seal anyway.

Back