Tire Question

Billabong089

Hey, on one of my front tires, there is an air bump on the side, looks like a little bump sticking out :confused:

What does that mean? Is that bad?

Probably some of your cords in your side-wall are damaged. If you didn't hit the tire with something, like a curb or large pot hole, you may be able to take it back where you bought it and get a new one. Probably will pro rate the cost.

You should change it out, because you are driving on a weak/ damaged tire. Could blow out on you, which would be bad if traveling at a high rate of speed.

Good luck..

Yeah, that's bad, sidewall damage is a big deal, you need to get the tire replaced ASAP.

hmmm damn... I have no money lol...

How much do you think two front tires would cost? I would have to replace both right?

Last edited:
Seperation...

These are almost always factory defects "Seperations"...I would say that Greg is spot on in that you will be prorated the price of a replacment. They will look @ the tread depth and use that to decifer your adjustment. For example if the tire "NEW" has 12/32 of rubber and "USED" in the state the tire is in when you bring it in say it measures 6/32 you may rcv. 50% adjustment towards a new exact replacment. They should however remove and replace./balance the tire for nothing...Don'y let them get away with chargin' you **** for service...

BTW as said before...It is a BIG no no to run a tire like you have described...

Cheers

Brad

Unless there is something wrong with the other tire you do not need to replace it (keeping in mind that you are short on cash). If you are going to have a mismatched tire, and if you are running the same size all around, you should move the mismatched tire to the rear. If the tire isn't under warranty, you might also be able to pick up a used tire in decent condition. I don't know what speed rating you are running, but it is generally considered a good idea to keep the speed rating matched (as well as the tread)... but unless you are really putting the car through its paces, it wouldn't be that big of a deal to have an odd tire.
(as long as it is the same size...)

Paul

problem, I bought the car and I didn't put these tires on it( I bought it the car like 6 months ago ), I noticed the tire was like that when I filled it up so I dont know If I did it or the other owner did or whatever..., they are Cooper Cobra R tires, the threads do look new, maybe I'll just get one new tire to replace it, but I can't put the new one in the back of the car because the previous owner had different shittier tires in the back...

How bad would a blowout be at like 80mph?

Also do you think I should just take it to a tire shop and have them inspect it, and if they think its ok then fine if not then I'll replace it..?

One more thing, what tire do you guys recommend, perhaps a link or something so I can take a look, I think i'm just gonna buy two new front tires, leave the back for now... so what kind do you think I should get, Stock 16inch rims...the current ones are
Copper Cobra ZHP 01 - 255 50 ZR 16
Whats the stock size or any other sizes, that size seems to be expensive :)

Take it to a tire shop known for good service. Out here on the West Coast we have Discount Tire. They have repaired many of my tires (can't repair the one you have) and even replaced one that they did not sell me. I am not sure if they sell Coopers, but find a shop that does. Usually manufactures warranties are good even if YOU did not buy the tire.

Oh yeah, and a sidewall blowout at 80mph would be bad, possibly very bad considering it is on the front and the car will pull hard upon blowout.

Any Cooper Dealer

My Dad owns a Tire business...He has done adjustments for people with tires that he deals...He obviously won't adjust something he does not deal with directly, but if it is...Soot why not do it for the guy...He won't lose a nickel doing it, Cooper will reemburse him the adjustment cost anyways...It should not matter if you are the origional buyer or not...Bottome line it is a COOPER tire and it went BAD early in the tire life...Not good advertisment...Try it, I think you will be surprised at what you get..

Brad

So I guess i'll call some tire places up.. what should I say? I just think its kinda odd since I didnt get the tire from them and whatnot...

I would....

Start calling around and tell them that you bought a few Cooper tires and one has developed a seperation in the sidewall...If you think you gotta lie I guess you could say that you bought them from a cooper dealer while you were on a trip and you need to get an adjustment from a cooper dealer.

There is no real reason why they should give you a hard time...Like I said they will be reambursed for it anyway, from Cooper...Tell them that you may need to replace your rear tires as well, they may be enticed by a future customer...

Cheers

Brad

When did you buy the tires? I remember Cooper had a recall of some bought between Sept 2001 and Jan 2002, IIRC.

no clue, I bought the car in dec 2002... anyway could any recommend a decently priced tire for me? I want to buy two new front tires for $75 each maybe, so a total of $150 is good... I think the cooper cobra ZHP 01's are on the exensive side but I havent been able to find a price yet.

Back