Has anyone actually done this?

Duffy Floyd

SCCoA Lifetime Member
Done a swap of the rear Third member using a 99-00 Mustang Cobra third member? I am looking at one of these units and it looks different than the Mark VIII versions I have seen. So before buying it I wanted to check and make sure it will fit.

Maybe a link.

I think Factory Five racing made some kind a convertion. If it wasn't them, they should know who. I remember seein pics of something like that.

One of the SCCoO guys used the FRPP aluminum pumpkin with 3.73 gears in his 96 4.6 LX Bird. In the 2003 FRPP catalogue, it lists it as fitting the IRS Cobra, Mark VIII, and 89-97 T-Bird / Cougar.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Duffy Floyd said:
Done a swap of the rear Third member using a 99-00 Mustang Cobra third member? I am looking at one of these units and it looks different than the Mark VIII versions I have seen. So before buying it I wanted to check and make sure it will fit.

Yes, I've done it. You can only use a '99 Cobra pumpkin as the newer units are 31 spline.

I thought they did not go to 31 splines until 01. Were you the "dfraleigh" that bought the unit on eBay?

The only 2000 Cobra produced, was the R, which used a 31 spline diff, the regular Cobras weren't made in 2000.

Yes, that was me. Why, are you interested in making a purchase? ;)

Last edited:
Re: Re: Has anyone actually done this?

DLF said:
Yes, I've done it. You can only use a '99 Cobra pumpkin as the newer units are 31 spline.

I bought a 2003 Cobra pumpkin with 3.55 gears but the guy I bought it from changed the side gears to 28 spline for me and also changed the pinion flange to a t-bird unit.

Rear1.jpg

Rear2.jpg

Mike Donley

Re: Re: Re: Has anyone actually done this?

MickeyD LX50 said:
I bought a 2003 Cobra pumpkin with 3.55 gears but the guy I bought it from changed the side gears to 28 spline for me and also changed the pinion flange to a t-bird unit.

I might be interested in the '03 Cobra pinion flange, if you have it.

I don't have it. The guy I bought the unit from is on The Corral as techford. He may still have it.

Mike Donley

Doug,

I WAS interested in the unit given I had been bidding on it. All I'll say is you would have paid more at least had not my wife decided to BS on the phone for over 1/2 hour and cause me to miss the end of the auction by like 1 minute!!!!!!

I have a prototype Eaton PosiTraction Unit to test and I knew that the AL pumpkin was tighter than the Iron unit...so I was hoping to test the fitment in the most severe case possible (pun intended) but you won fair and square so I assume you have a need for it as well.

Back