very simple foglight question,

GREATWHITE666

Hey guys, i just had a foglight go out, and i just want to be sure before i go into it exactly what it needs. is it the whole housing or just a bulb? where can i buy the housing if i need one... and could i use aftermarket fog lights without changing anything? Thanks-
Damon

You can just replace the bulb. From underneath the car they just twist out. You can find the replacement bulb at just about any parts store.

I had to make special brackets when I put new fog lights on my 90 SC. I could not find any that would bolt right up.

Bob

Last edited:
great

good, so it's just a bulb. ok ill leave in the stock ones now till later and just replace the bulb. great, thank you bob
-Damon

A suggestion that I have about the stock foglamps is to not run them all the time. Meaning, don't run them when your lights are on. The main reason for this is the multifunction switch was not made to handle the continual load of all the lights (low beam + fog lamps) and thus the switch has the tendancy to fail. There are a couple things that you can do to remedy this situation. Most involve rewiring of some sort for the fog lamps. I would suggest the use of a relay to provide power to the lamps. Of course, this involves some work and some $$, but in the long run, you will be happier for it. Besides, the stock foglamps are for show only as they are entirely too dim (low wattage) to provide any increase in visibility. With the relay you can get higher wattage bulbs for added visibility.

Here's one way to rewire your foglamps for circuit protection.

Attachments

• modifiedfog.gif
    modifiedfog.gif
    6.1 KB · Views: 236
oh

interesting, i didnt know that. you'd think FORD wouldve made the thing so i would be able to handle it. Ive always run my fogs on with my lights at night, but i will keep that info in mind 007_SuperCoupe. i replaced the burnt out bulb today, thanks for the info both of you.
-Damon

This is just FYI, I'm planning on going with the PIAA 1500 series foglamps for the aftermarket application. They are virtually identical to our fog lamps in mounting, shape and size. But you get 85 watts of light while using 55 watts of power. And they come complette in the kit for about $230. I'm not too sure of any mounting mods that will be needed, but I don't think it is anything that we SC owners couldn't handle. I know of a few who have done this very conversion, but I don't know specifically who they were, but from what I have heard they are a virtual bolt up (wiring excluded). And you can splice into your stock foglamp switch with this setup as well.

You can go to MN12Performance.com and read the article on rewiring the fog light switch to the ignition. I did mine on my 90. It takes about 30 minutes and will take the load off of your head light and multi-function switches. Your fog lights can then be operated via the switch any time that the ignition is switched on.

I don't know if my 95 is wired the same way from the factory as the 90 or not. I had to replace the headlight switch last year on the 90 because the extra load finally took it's toll on the switch. Ford recalled the headlight switch several years ago because of these problems.

Bob

If I may add to the conversation, I put my fogs on relays also and it did the trick. My headlight switch started going bad a week after I bought my 35th. I wired the relay as shown below. The upper half of the diagram is the factory setup and the lower half shows how I wired the relay. Many owners, like Robert, power the switch from a 12v source from the ignition and then you can turn the fogs on whenever you have the key on. Either way you then have the ability to have more powerful foglights than stock and the system load is minimal. Good Luck.
ModifiedFog2.gif

Back