'93 Thunderbird tape player removal (How?)

rurouni_kenshin

Okay, so I look at my tbird, and I'm just wondering how do I get this stupid thing off? I can easily remove a civic's, accord's, probe's, etc etc... I've done many installs on these seemingly simple cars. But dang, I'm afraid I'm going to break something with this car.

For starters, the light switch, how does that come off?

I'm installing a new cd player (Pioneer DEH-P3500) I know it's not super high end, but it's all that was in stock and all the pioneers have the same amp, and I'm not worried about the graphical interfaces.

If you have the pull out light switch there is a clip on the back of the knob that you have to press in with a pick in order to get it off.

In order to get the radio out you have to have a special set of U keys that you put in both sides of the radio where the holes are. You can buy the keys at some auto parts stores. If you can't find a set take it to a car audio shop and have them pull it out for you.

Bob

U keys? Holes?

Are the holes visible after I take off the peice being blocked by the light switch? Or is it visible without taking out anything? Can I just take it out without removing any of the dash? My father took my tbird to the building for a bit, so I can't go look at it right now.

solution!

I had this same thing. instead of these special tools, you can actually just se some wire, from a wire hanger. take two pieces about like 10 inches long each and bend them into "U's" then take each one and put them in the holes on the 4 corners.... it takes some time as you have to catch the little metal locking mechanism and kinda of bend it inwards towards the player, so it' slike you bend the "U" part that sticking out, away from the player and that pushing the metal thing in there inward. hard to explain but do it on both sides and slide it out gently, it took me a while but try not to get frustrated. or you could still take it to a shop, i just didnt want to do that---
good luck-
Damon

Back