Borla Mufflers.

siebersblack89SC

Im looking in getting some borla mufflers but dont know which ones everyone is using??The system is 2.5"from manifolds to a Magnaflow stainless Res. with a 3" center section with 2.5' back section on a '95 5spd.Just wondering what Borla's people were using??

I'd go with the XS if I were to use Borla. Nice and quiet without the "blob blob blob blob."

Have you looked into Thermal Research or Greddy?

I like a loud constant deep noise, instead of the "blob blob blob blob." But if you like the latter, then don't go with the ones I just mentioned :p

I originally had the 14" Turbo mufflers with an X-pipe. Terrible drone that would run you out of the car at around 2,700 RPM.

I have since installed the 19" Hemi (Turbo XL, part #40665) mufflers and they cured my drone with no resonator. Unfortunately "quiet" is a very subjective term. The Borlas are louder than stock, but I find they have a very pleasant, distinctive sound. They really ramp up once you get on it.

Here's the info for where I bought #40665 mufflers:

They were around $128. He shipped really quickly!

JB Manning
Internet Racers Supply, Inc.
www.racenet.net
888-469-7223

Summit also has them for around $136 each.

If you want the smaller mufflers George mentioned he had on originally, they are 40653 Borlas. I have them on my car, and several other people I know do also. If you have a resonator, they will be much quieter.

I plan to upgrade to the 40665 units eventually, but the 40653 units are fine for more midly modified or stock SCs, and are easier to fit.

gldiii said:
I originally had the 14" Turbo mufflers with an X-pipe. Terrible drone that would run you out of the car at around 2,700 RPM.

I have since installed the 19" Hemi (Turbo XL, part #40665) mufflers and they cured my drone with no resonator.

George,

Do you happen to have a picture of how you managed to fit those under the car? I know the original pictures you had showed those shorter ones being fairly tight.

No pictures of the 19"! They are still at an angle, only tighter fit than the 14's. I would doubt anyone could go much larger.

Mike,

I've seen them installed on George's SWB car, and Sean Matteson from the SCCoO recently installed them also. They fit fine on an angle, but like George said, you really can't go any bigger. There would be no need to anyway.

I want to do the same, since I too have a dual exhaust with x-pipe and the drone is driving me crazy. The last straw came a few days ago when some kid asked me if I had Kamikaze mufflers and if they would sound like that on his prelude. But i have spent enought money on this exhaust, so the Borlas are a bit too much I think for mufflers. No snow here so don't care about stainless steel and no one is going to see them unless I run over someone. So can I get the same effect with a dynomax 19 inch muffler? Thanks

Victor
P.S.
Was it 19 inch over all length or 19 inch muffler case Thanks

Last edited:
Back