PDA

View Full Version : 91 5.0 upgrades

parnek
03-03-2003, 12:14 PM
I've looked through the Forums for engine upgrades for my 91 XR7 5.0 but very little came up. Lets start with the easy inexpensive performance helpers...my 5.0 only has a K&N filter panel.
Stock engine..solid tranny(rebuit recently)..3.08's posi.. I don't mind losing a little top end because it's barely woking when the speed limiter engages at 180k/h.
Any ideas?

cudaz101
03-03-2003, 12:20 PM
They are more into "EVERYTHING" all the birds...I think you will be enlightened with the amount of information and feedback there..Where as here we are SC V-6 guys, lil differant flavor...

Brad

MadMikeyL
03-03-2003, 11:32 PM
For starters, GET RID OF THOSE 3.08's. I have 3.27's in my 91 5.0 cougar, and I love them. When I had it on the road last, it would completely toast any stock 5.0 mustang, as well as most supercoupes I raced, and it would still have no problem hitting 130mph on the highway at 2am. Also get a chip burned for your car. I reccomend "superchips". This will get rid of your governer as well as free up more power. These are the best cheap mods to make that car a lot more fun. If you want to dig into your motor a little more and spend a little more money, swap your heads, intake, cam, and your entire exhaust system. For intake, cam, and heads anything that will work for a 5.0 mustang will work for your car, except that some of the intakes might require you to get a raised hood, or at the very least modify the underside of your stock hood. As far as exhaust, most of it will have to be custom as I am not aware of any aftermarket systems for a 91 cougar. The other thing is that if you get headers made for a mustang, you may have to modify them to clear the steering column. Unequal length shorties are likely to fit without any problems, but equal length shorties or longtubes will be a real pain, and not worth it. Basically anything you can do to a mustang 5.0, you can do to your motor. It all depends how much you want to spend and what rpms you want to build power in.

dode
03-04-2003, 12:59 PM
Yes, come on over to TCCoA. It's a good place most of the time. As far as what Mikey says, most of it isn't true. There's a bunch of us 5.0 guys over there and we can help you in the right direction.

John