What is your preferred brand of battery?

JAFO

I've been nursing mine along since buying the car, but I'm tired of it. I've always bought Die Hard, but that may not be the way to go anymore. I think we have an Interstate battery store here. Don't need to pay for an Optima battery, don't have a serious stereo or anything, but I do have an alarm that's putting the hurt on my current one. What's good these days?

hmm..

Pretty sure mine is an Everyready or maybe its Everlast. Anyways, the damn thing has lasted FOREVER. Has awesome power (though the battery is HUGE). Left my lights on one day at work for 8 hours, came out and it started right up without hestation. Wouldn't buy any other battery anymore.

MOTORCRAFT.....

I've had a Autozone Dualast (SP ?) battery in my 89 SC when I bought it off of a guy in town and I started having problems with it holding charge months after so I decided to use the OEM MOTORCRAFT battery and have used it in my other cars that I have owned before and have always had no problems. Some have even lasted over 5 years, but I usually buy one now matter what every 4 years though.

There again I've always stuck to OEM parts for the most part, other than performance aftermarket parts of such.

I think it is amusing seeing people place AC delco parts on fords, I guess really whatever makes it run, but funny! O'Well.

That's my .02 of input. :)

Jeff B.

Bill - I'd stay with the DieHard, the Gold model is made by Johnson Controls and is a very fine battery. Silver models & below are made by Exide and only moderate quality. I think the gold is up to 84 months warranty now, plus you should buy the Canadian spec model - has more cold cranking amps.
Interstate are also fine batteries, but slow sales thru car repair & auto stores means old stock. Whereby Sears & NTB turn over their DieHard inventory regularly; especially when there are sales or coupons in the paper.

Optima

I like the optima batteries. I think their the best. Their kinda pricey retail (($130-150) but since I work for the company that owns Optima, they let me buy 2 per year at $55 ea.
So I put them in everything I have.

Go to autozone and tell them that you need a Bosch battery. To most coomsumers they are 89.99 but you can try to tell them that you want to pay the normal commercial price of 39.99. They are a much better quality than Duralast. Stay away from Interstate. I have never had luck with them.

As with everything, I probably put too much importance on it, but not much is as annoying as an unreliable battery. If found a website that had a redtop Optima for $89, which is right at my limit. Left the link at work and I didn't get to check out shipping. Rather not order though, kind of heavy to ship.
I'm not big on the Auto Zone batteries, they're the ones that drove me to the Die Hard's. Sounds like Jim had a similar experience.

Did you use a Cheap autozone brand battery or a Duralast Gold. The Autozone brand battery is Junk, The plain Duralast is not much better. The Duralast Gold is really good. And the Bosch is not an Autozone battery. They just sell it there, the bosch are original equipment on most German Cars, BMW Mercedes, Volvo, some Audi's. Not to mention it is the commercial grade battery that we sell to all the Garages in the area. I am using one right now and it works flawlessly. Just stay away from the Battery that says autozone. Go with Duralast Gold or Bosch

If you want to get technical, the longest lasting battery will be the heaviest. It deals with a lot of chemistry that I have forgotten. But interesting, nontheless.

This doesn't mean the best battery or most power, however.

I dont like batteries that have the caps. I use AC Delco "its like buying time":D

I also converted mine to the GM terminals, I hate the top posts:mad:

ohhh

I bought the Optima recently because its purty lookin..Went dead in a week...Got a replacement and no problems thus far..Always used diehards because of the great warranty..But really they seemto be junk...Ive heard great things about Interstate batterys in a consumer reports I read awhile back..They were on top

well if you want a long warranty The Duralast Gold has 900CCA and 1000CA with 8 year warranty and 3 year free replacement and free install.

1BADSC said:
Did you use a Cheap autozone brand battery or a Duralast Gold. The Autozone brand battery is Junk, The plain Duralast is not much better.

You probably have a point there. It's been years since I bought one, and the one's I've seen go bad fast for others I know I'm sure were the cheaper ones. You get what you pay for I guess. I've been looking around for the Optima, but the cheapest I found gets blown out by shipping, putting it over what I want to pay.
I appreciate all the input. Haven't heard anyone mention Exide yet.

Die Hards use to be made by Johnson Controls but are no longer. Could be why they do not seem as good as they use to be. Last one I had acted like an Exide which really suck.

So the Autozone Gold made by Johnson Controls should be like the Diehards of old. Plus its a pretty good replacement warranty on these too

Ron

Back