Cat converter trivia time.

JustinH

Long, long, story.

My brother bought a 89 sc. When we got it, it had a little exhaust leak. I thought no big deal, we would weld in some new pipe.

So, blowing through the toll booths in ny, the exhaust got super loud, and the pipe was totally blown out.

I determined that there was a crack in the Y pipe, I had planned on just buying a new Y pipe, and having my buddy weld it in. Should have costed him less than 40 bucks, the Y could be custom made pretty easially, or could have bought a generic Y pipe.

So, the car is way too loud to drive around town, and my brother "had" to have it fixed. He took it up to the cheapest muffler place in town, these guys do good work for dirt cheap. He walked out with a $400 dollar bill, because the guys said it was missing a 3rd cat, and they made a new Y pipe, and the pipe running to the primary cats.

I am so ticked off that my brother spent that kind of money without asking me first, but its over, and I just had a question.

Did the 89 sc fivespeed have three cats or two cats from the factory?

I know my 95 has three cats, why did ford do this? I know a car can pass with flying colors with 2 cats.

Had this been my car, I would have saved myself some money and had a friend do it, but damn kids don't listen.

Thanks,
Justin

Last edited:
I think what you mean is two cats and one resonator, plust the two mufflers... if this is it, then all models come like that..

I was arguing with the guy at the exhaust shop about the "3rd" cat converter that he said was missing.

The resonator is not a pollution control device, and this car does not have a resonator either.

So, thanks for telling me that the 89 does not have 3 cats.

Justin

The three convertor thing seemed to start around 93 on the five speed cars. All cars previous to that to my knowledge only had the two. When they switched to the three cat setup they used that and a weeny resonator after it.

I am going to the dealership with him tomorrow to talk to the service manager, about how many cats the car came with.

Then, I am going across the street to get the 3rd cat removed, and his money refunded.

You guys are so money it isn't even funny.

Thanks,
Justin

Better yet, go down to your Ford dealership and have them print out a picture of the stock exhaust system and take that with you.

jerk

I dont know, but it's wasting space and is ruining the site. I dont know how this guy got 84 posts??? havent seen him around the site..
-Damon

the first one i saw him, he was at 10 then 49 now hes' gone too far.. Lucky MOFO... :mad: i dunno where he lives... otherwise grrrrr not worth mentioning..

Yeah, i'm confused also.

Someone must have posted something, and one of the mods deleted it.

Anyway, I'll let you guys know how it goes today with the exhasut shop, thanks for all the good information.

JH

A guy named Cable Guy_DV was putting up spam for some nude celeb site. he posted like over 100 posts in about an hour and a half.

3rd cat

I believe the CAL. cars came with them..............because of the smog laws........................FAST FREDDIE;) ;)

Back