Brakes Breaks...

NorthrnSCownr

:confused: :mad: :confused: <font color=blue>(Thanks in advance guys)...Ok So....
<p>When I bought the SC the<font color=orange> ABS</font> and<font color=red> BRAKE</font> lights would flash on under panic breaking and then quickly go off. To me ,after reading numerous threads, this told me that the<font color=green>ACCUMULATOR</font> was bad. My plan was to buy a remanufactured when I had the spare $100.
<P> I got out to my car today and there was NO juice. Battery COMPLETLY DEAD. No lights were on etc. -Jumped it, back to normal. 5 min down the road,<font color=orange> ABS</font> and <font color=red>BRAKE</font> lights come on and stay on, and <font color=red>NO BREAKS</font><font color=blue>!!! Jammed it into park, and pulled off the road. <P>As I make a phone call, brake lights come back on, and I have breaks...Drive to gas station 1/8 mile down the road, sit for a min. and lights come back on and Font color=red>NO BAKES</font>!!!<P> I call tow truck, turn car off, and the pump is cycling with key out like weeow(click)weeow(click) weoow(click) weoow(click) etc....(AH That's why my battery died!) <P>So I take off neg. from battery and car is towed to safe place....<P>SO, Question is.... If I just replace the<font color=green> ACCUMULATOR</font> will I be OK? Is it the Pump relay? OR-Master Cylinder??? What has been your experience with this issue, where should I begin, and what should I look for/to do??? </font>:confused: :mad: :confused:

Well as far as the clicking you hear of the ABS is your relay.. You can either clean it or replace it with a new one... The relay is loacted on the passenger side firewall (engine compartment) there 3 relays one of them works the ABS.. Tha should solve the problem of draining the batter.. i hope this helps..

Thanks a lot for the link<p> I think I will replace the relay and accumulator, and take it from there.... Does this sound logical?

Contact Prior Remanufacturing www.prioreman.com and order an accumulator for the Teves Mark II ABS, also go to the local parts house and get a GP Sorensen MR-120 "Brown Pump Relay". If the hydraulic pump has not been damaged from overheating, you should be OK.

Be sure to follow the de-pressurizing procedures when you change the accumulator!!! The system's operating pressure is around 2300psi.

<font color=blue>Thanks Larry,
I ordered the accumulator this morning, and was going to post and ask what the name of the relay is, so you saved me the trouble!! Thanks SO much for your help guys, it makes it much easier to own an SC knowing I can rely on this forum!! <H2>HATS OFF TO SCCOA !!!</h2></font>:D

Oh, By the way... How do I go about relieving the pressure in my scenario.... l<P>last time when the car was on (or even off) the pump was pumping on it's own, and the pedal was hard. My understanding is that I need to pump the pedal several times to relieve the pressure, but I am not sure how to if the pedal is hard.... Please assist!

First, correct the "run-on" problem with the pump (bad relay). Then, with the key off, pump the brake pedal around 20 to 25 times until the pedal is hard. If the pedal is already hard, then there is no pressure in the system. Remove the wiper blades and the windshield cowling to get access to the accumulator, use a hex key to remove the stock accumulator. Put the old accumulator in a bucket because it will probably be full of fluid and will drain for a long time (this is just a suggestion to eliminate a big mess). The new accumulator should come with a new O-Ring. (be sure the old O-Ring is removed from the ABS unit or it will leak). Lube the accumulator threads and O-Ring with clean brake fluid and install the new accumulator. Hand tight is good enough (basically the same as installing an oil filter) the torque spec is about 10 ft/lbs. Don't overtighten or the fitting could snap. turn the key ON and listen for the pump to kick on as the system pressurizes. It may take a minute or so to reach operating pressure the first time. Add fluid to the reservoir if needed. The new accumulator will pull fluid from the reservoir, so you will probably need to top it off. Replace the cowling and wiper blades. That's it. The pump should only cycle about every third or fourth time the brakes are applied, and the ABS and Brake warning indicators should not flash anymore when the brakes are applied.

Larry, Thank you for the wonderfull instructions... I didn't realise the bad relay is what caused the cycling. I should be all set now however, and will repost when I am back on the road OR can't get back on the road. Again, thanks so much,
Tom

Back