Ported heads -- help needed

blksc

Hey gang, i am on the brink of offering sc heads ported and polished. Im stuck on determining a fair price for such work. I see others charge a pretty penny for their setups and wanted yal's input.

The heads get a stage 3 port job which is intake/exhuast runners ported and polished(except on exhuast side.. no polishing), gasket matched, combustion chamger we worked, bowl blending and larger valves. Head come with comp springs and 1.73 roller rockers.

Since you are asking....

700bux???This would be a great buy as long as your flow numbers are up there...Do you have any flow numbers??

I am in the market RIGHT NOW...

Mail: cudaz101@yahoo.com

Cheers

Brad

A few questions if you don't mind.

Have you done any heads before ? What do they flow ? Are these heads intended for use with a specific cam ? Will new push rods be required ? Are you welding the exhaust ports and reshaping the short or long radius ? Why aren't you planning to polish the exhaust runners ?

David

Last edited:
Please forgive me D. let me clear up somethings.

1. I will not be doing the port work, a well known porter in so cal will.
2. The exhuast ports will be polished, but wont be welded
3. Before i sell a single head, i will have them flowed, and if the numbers arent up to par, i wont be selling them.
4. 700 is unrealistic for a complete set of heads

You asked Bro...

The price I put up is exactly what Tom Morona wants for a set of his Stage III heads...I think they flow @ around 170???Don't quote me cuz I am not sure on the flow number...;)

That is not with Roller rockers or Bigger vlvs though...

Cheers

Brad

No quote needed :)

I believe his stage three is just the port work. as his complete head packages start around

Ported, with larger valves and
springs, retainers, keepers, seals according to TMorana's website is 1400 and that still doesnt include roller rockers.

**Note**

I started this thread for informational purposes not to try and steal business away from anyone else selling heads. The usage of Moranas stats are only because of availability of the information

I ported H.D. heads for about 25 years .For stage 1. I got $1000.00
For my top-f heads i got $5000.00 plus $2500.00 for the machined billet heads.

I allso bought the eye doctor two new homes.

To sell your ported heads you will need them to be proven.
,with track numbers.you will need to sponser a racer with a
set off heads that gos to the track .find one close to you so
you can trade notes.Be careful that you dont give them to a
racer that will not give you any feed back. And dont pick one
of your buddys,find somone with a fast rep at the track that
every one knows.

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for the guidence. I do plan to prove them both on the flowbench and at the dyno. The first proto's will be delivered to me at the end of this week, i will have plenty of pictures. My guy promosed to outlfow the stats i gave him or the work is free.

Im excited to see what the head will do, im actually planning on stopping by today to take a few pics of the progress. I dont wanna speculate, just let the heads speak for themselves. I've seen the work this guys done so im confident enough to just let him do his thing and i'll do mine by getting the business.

FOR BLOWER HEADS YOU WILL NEED TO CONCENTRATE YOUR FLOW ON THE EXHAUST SIDE.
They have differnt needs than a naturaly asperated port.

I agree that the Exhaust ports need ALOT of attention, I've done a set or 2 before. Stock the intake side flows ~170cfm@.500 and the Exhaust is only around ~110-115cfm. To use a Straight patern cam you want the exhaust to flow AT LEAST 80% of the intake flow on a supercharger car, 85-90% is Ideal.

If you get 230-240cfm intake and 190-200cfm exhaust @ .500 with those heads I would say 1200$ is a great price.

IMO the single port head market is pretty saturated. To get sales you are going to have to be either the cheapest or the best. There are a lot of guys in the middle ground, and a lot of $1500 heads available with larger valves and different hardware.

That's somthing you may want to keep in mind, because the R&D, and testing can get expensive and time consuming.

Just my opinion, but hopefully you come out with good flow numbers.

Brian

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I have to actually see how much it cost me for all the work. its kind of too early to tell what the final production cust will be though

Is it really saturated ? who actually sells performance heads for the sc besides morna and steigmier <-- forgive the butchering. Anyhow, i havent quit my job and started to bank on these heads. if they flow well i'll try and put them in the range of most sc'ers and if they are a lil sub par, then hey i'll have a great set of heads :)

Here's the bigger ones that I know of

Coy Miller
Tom Morana
Bob Stiegemeier
RGR
Super Six

and they all have a lot of testing done, and price anywhere from $600 - $2300.

Brian

Right on thanks. Like we've all said, the proof will be in the numbers.

ps... are they selling complete bolt on heads for 600 bucks ? heck if so i'll buy a pair of theirs!

Don't forget to add Bob Johnson and Dr. Fred to the list. Then there are the guys who do some custom heads once in a while like Chris Wise, Wade Embree and possibly Steve Webb and David Dalke.

Like Brian said, there is already plenty of competition so your going to need something special to compete.

David

Last edited:
Back