Will a 5.0 AOD tranny Fit into a SC 3.8?

Edman1000

Any body ever put an AOD from a 5.0 into a SC'd 3.8?
Will it fit? Is the 5.0 the same bell housing as the 3.8? I just want to make sure it'll fit or what I need to do to it to convert it. Will all the wires, hoses and linkage hook up the same?

Yes, it will fit. You would probably be ok with the B servo in the V8 trans, but you can swap your A out of your SC AOD if you like. It will make it a little stronger.

John

Ok, gimme the skinny man!

Will it fit? has anyone ever done this? Linkage? Bellhousing? Driveshaft lengths?

Should be????

Should be eh? Has anyone ever done it or are you guys setting me up to be the guinea pig!

I am 99.5% sure it is a direct swap. If there is anything different I don't know about it. I have swapped a transmission from a Mustang, and the only thing different there is the shifter linkage. The Tbirds all had the same shifter though.

John

Yes the Mustang AOD will bolt up and use your same driveshaft. You can buy any AOD in the Mustang magazines and it should work. Lentech, ARt Carr, GER, B&M, ...
The shifter linkage may need to be swapped from your SC AOD.

Be cautious on junkyard trannies, as some inner parts can rust over time.

Mustang?

So an AOD from a 5.0 mustang will work? I won't have to mess with the driveshaft or the Electrical connections? the linkage is not a big deal, I'll just have to set it up right. What year(s) should I look for? How did the swap go form the stang? any thing to look for?

The mustang tranny is very easy to fit. Everything is an exact fit except for the linkage. All you have to do is drop the pans on each tranny and swap the linkage from your SC trans to the new trans. It's easy and only takes a couple of minutes. It will be obvious when you look at them them that they are different. The only other thing you MIGHT have to change is that somewhere along the lines I think they changed the number of teeth on the internal speedo gear on the transmission. I think it was late 80's. My memory is a little foggy on that, but I recall something about that. If that is the case you might have to change your speedometer gear to make it read correctly, but that's easy to do since you would have it off anyway.

John

dode may be right!

Well, I think I may atempt this. I've located an AOD from a 5.0 stang and apparently it's the same except for the linkage. I called a performance tranny place and they said that all the AOD's are the same except for the trucks and lincolns which have the longer tailshaft (11.5") as opposed to the shorter 10.5" that our cars use. I asked about Splines, input & output shafts, gear ratios and torque converters. He told me that they are all the same (as long as the Trq Conv is stock). Anyway, I will post feedback once this is done. This sounds logical because knowing how ford works, they don't want to change too much when commonizing parts.

What electrical connections are you talking about? The AOD isn't an electronic transmission like the 4R70W. Also the AOD is the same AOD. If it says AOD, its an AOD.

Even though my 89 AOD is not electronically contolled, it does have electrical connections for the backup lights and neutral start. I believe it is a round connector about 5 or 6 leads and is on the driver's side of the tranny.

Back