Buying used rear end. Good Deal??

Mike Combs

I'm thinking about buying a used 1989 SC rear-end for my LX. It is an 8.8"/POSI unit. It is the complete center member. Other than needing new posi clutches it is in great shape.

My questions are:

1. What gear ratios were offered in the 89 SC??

2. Is $100 for the complete unit a good deal??

3. Is $50 for just the diff carrier a good deal??

4. Do I need the SC half-shafts or are my LX units strong enough for up to 275HP??

Thanks for any help!!

1. 2.73 for 5spd, 3.27 for autos

2. Complete unit meaning IRS? please clarify.

3. $50 is great, let me know when you find a 3.27( you can tell by a tag that should be attached to the housing cover plate)

4. I would say go ahead and get the SC ones if they are bigger, not sure if they are or not, but would assume they are. If it is a 5spd the pass side half-shaft is bigger for sure.

Hope that helps

It is a fairly common failure for the metal plates in the Ford traction-lok clutch pack to wear through completely and break up into pieces. The pieces are then chewed around through the spider gears and ring/pinion. This typically ruins those gears and means you would have to get a whole new carrier and ring/pinion gears, rather than rebuilding the clutch pack. You might want to make sure this hasn't happened before buying this unit.

Only one of the cluches is broken. The tabs are missing on both sides. I hope the gears are okay. I only want the whole setup because I won't have to go through all the pains of setting-up a new gear set.

Also, the IRS posis are hard to find.

Will the center member bolt right into my originally 7.5" rear-end??

Thanks!!

Back