temp sensor

smokymance

i was driving down the street....all of a sudden my temp sensor flew across the gauge to hot in about a second....i knew my engine wasnt overheating...so i thought it just died...then it went back to normal. everytime i drive the car...now it would do it at least once....what might be the problem.?

First of all, those temp sensors are not all that accurate. But yours sounds like it is on the fritz. They are a relatively cheap item and quite simple to replace. I got an aftermarket one from a parts store (can't remember which one) when I had to replace mine. And this newer one actually reads warmer than the lod one did, but still not overheating. It is basicaly located right next to your t-stat. It is the little thing with a wire coming off of it. Be careful with the wire though. They get very brittle over time. Mine broke several times before I finally got an eyelet attached to it. (I'm also now at my limit for wire. If any more breaks, I'll have to splice new wire in.) Hope this helps.

sensor

im not sure what i changed but it was about 15 dollars. it had to be taken off with a 1 inch deep neck socket, and it was pointy at the top. im not sure what this part did...but it didnt fix the problem. it the temp sensor the other tiny one that is there close by? i need to fix this problem soon, it drives me nuts. thanks

First of all, George, I hope you don't mind me using a pic of your engine...it's just so clean!

Circled is the part I refered to. If that is the part you replaced, then I'm thinking, (just assumptions on my part at this point), that you have a wiring issue. Loacting it could be a pain though. It could be the wire itself or even something to do directly with your dash. I can't say for sure. At any rate, that is the part I was refering to. Not sure if this helps, but hopefully it will clarify.

Edit: Just for further clarification, there should also be a wire with a 'boot' connector that goes on to the top of the temp sending unit. Over time that wire becomes very brittle. Mine broke 3 or 4 times when I tried to fix my oil leak. New sending unit and an eyelet did it for me. At least for now. I'm hoping that when I rebuild my engine, I won't have to replace the wiring...hoping.

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Wow, notice how the hood latch area actually looks better without the aging black flashing too. When it's all clean like that and nothing to hide. ;)

Head Gasket?

Maybe I'm way off base here but couldn't this be a head gasket symptom with pockets cylendar gases causing the temp gauge to jump?

Any Oil or Coolant where it's not supposed to be?

thats what somebody told me....but i havent seen any white smoke from pipe or smelled any sweet fumes from it....well let me hope it just isnt the heads...but i just bought a sender unit im about to put this evening...hope to solve the problem....ill keep posted....and hope for it not to be the heads....

Back