fan

smokymance

how do i lower the temp settin on when my cooling fan turns on. i hear u can get in the car somewhere and adjust this so the fan turns on sonner that norm temp. im putting a 180 thermo, and i want it to start the fan sooner too to make my 180 t-stat really make a diff. thanks.

Well i am not entirely sure if this is right, so someone correct me if i am wrong.. Not sure what year your SC is but, if your SC ranges from 89-93 you will have to get an EEC tuner chip.. this are chips that you can have custom made for your car that will help your performance. If your SC is 94-94 a good scanner can make the modifications as far as what temp you want to fans to tun on. hope i am right..

i have heard about the EEC tuner...since my car is a 93...but where can i get one made...and how much would it cost...i know that it might be a pain for my car since it dosnt have an electric fan...thanks for all your help.

There are three ways to change it.
1) Get a new chip burned with different parameters
2) Use an EEC tuner to change the parameters
3) Use a thermostatic switch tied into the wiring of the engine computer to override the computer turning the fan on sooner.

The #14 wire on the ICRM controls the low speed fan. If it is cut so it is left open, the low speed winding on the fan motor will be energized all the time. You could hook a thermostatic switch into that with a relay to break the connection at a different temp.

The catch though is that there is a high speed winding in the fan motor that should not be energized when the low speed winding is. If they are both powered, the fan motor will see excessive wear.

The #17 wire controls the high speed winding and is simply grounded to activate the high speed fan.

You would have to call around and see if a shop was willing to do it.

Most people just cut the #14 wire and either leave the fan run all the time, or put a switch on it so they can turn it on and off at will.

but if you are not good with electronics, don't touch it. And leave it as is or find a shop with someone that feels they are qualified.

smokymance said:
if it runs all the time...would that ruin the fan.....just wondering
It would eventually wear it out sooner than if it cycled but who know how long that would take. Could go for years. Also, consider that on a cold day you might not want it on.

I'll just state this and everyone can judge for themselves. My Tbird has been through 13 Texas summers, has 164,000 miles, and has had regular oil/filter changes at 5000 miles. It has never overheated and normally runs at the no in "norm" in the Texas heat. Both fan settings are active and it will occasionally peak at the r. It is still way below where it would overheat and cause an oil breakdown. Whatever oil is worn out, really doesn't stay in the car that long.

As far as added horsepower, you'd have to get one of the EEC experts to tell you what sorts of gains you might get.

my only concer is that i dont want to put lots of stress on my gaskets. i bought this car with 100 grand on the odometer, and im not sure if the heads are replaced or not and i dont want to find out this summer. im thinking that by keeping it cooler it would be better for them. if anybody has someother tips on how to extend this, please drop a line. thanks

Smokey,

Here is a link to a wiring diagram for dual manual fan controllers. If wired as shown fans will function normally when AC and defroster is turned on and won't interfere with the stock temp settings, if you set the manual controls too high.

http://members.tccoa.com/dneibert/fan relays.jpg

Parts required, 2 ea. 30 amp automotive relays, 2 ea. thermostatic fan controller, 1 ea. 1 amp diode and 1 ea. 3amp in line fuse. All this stuff can be purchased from Autozone or Advanced. The controllers are generic and are most commonly used when converting a belt driven fan to electric.

The wires numbered on the diagram are labeled on the harness of the integrated relay control module located in front of the air box.

With the parts and the diagram, anyone who can wire a car stereo can do this.

David

Thread resurrection...

There are three ways to change it.
1) Get a new chip burned with different parameters
2) Use an EEC tuner to change the parameters
3) Use a thermostatic switch tied into the wiring of the engine computer to override the computer turning the fan on sooner.

The #14 wire on the ICRM controls the low speed fan. If it is cut so it is left open, the low speed winding on the fan motor will be energized all the time. You could hook a thermostatic switch into that with a relay to break the connection at a different temp.

The catch though is that there is a high speed winding in the fan motor that should not be energized when the low speed winding is. If they are both powered, the fan motor will see excessive wear.

The #17 wire controls the high speed winding and is simply grounded to activate the high speed fan.

Will doing option number 3 cause my check engine light to go on?

Back