bubbling coolant?

Boostman23

I was just wondering if it is normal for the coolant to have air bubbles in it as it is reved? If I look at the coolant tank and move the throttle linkage I see bubbles start to rise from the bottom. Any ideas if this normal?

well...

I had that happen on my SC and my head gaskets blew. The bublles in my overflow tank was blow-by from the pistons blowing air into the coolant system.

I really hope it is not that.

Any other indicators of head gasket failure?

I did not put a burp hole in the thermostat if that has anything to do with it.

I also noticed black residue in the overflow tank, but that might have benn there already.

My suggestion, pay the $35 or so to get your coolant tested for oil. It's a chemical test that shouldn't take too long at all. And keep an eye on your coolant level. When was the last time you changed your t-stat or coolant? If it has been very recent, you will have some air in the system that needs to be purged. No matter what anyone says, there is always air in the system after you open it.

Your prolly just low on coolant, whether you think so or not. You will need to fill the overflow, run the car for a while 10-20 minutes, drive it around the block put your foot in it a few times and , shut it down and wait a few hours. Repeat.

Does your temp gauge move around a lot or stay steady once it's up to temp?

Jeff

Rob,

Don't worry about a few bubbles. That could be the cap, or a little air in the cooling system. As you rev the engine the water pump will increase coolant flow and pressure.

If you have a leaking head gasket and run it hard (WOT in the boost), it will usually overflow the recovery tank and your temp gauge will starting making radical changes between normal and hot temps (because of combustion gas in the coolant).

David

I will flush out the system this weekend, and see if that helps any.

Also I am running 160* thermostat, should I put a burp hole in it or not?

I also remember not being able to get the cooling system vent open during the last refill( the bolt thing on top of the engine near the sc that says remove before coolant fill ) I was worryed that the pipe was going to break as it was twisting a bit.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Also I noticed the other day when this all happened that a bit of smoke was in the passenger side of the car, just a small puff came in from somewhere in or under the dash, weird?

Well I hate to say this but mine was doing the same thing. There were bubbles in the overflow tank. I had black residue in the overflow tank also. So I flushed the cooling system. I drove the car for a while and it seemed fine. I even took it to the strip a few times. Then I got into the boost one day on the street and I had anti-freeze all down the side of my car from the overflow tank. Well it turned out it was my headgaskets. I would have it checked out.

I'm in the same boat right now, if I get on the boost I'll get air percing in the overflow. I f I really beat on it(which I have not since discovering this at the track last fall) my overflow level rises dramitically and percolates. HG time for this boy, I have exhaust leaking by but no coolant loss yet.

well I guess it is time for the HG anyways. I have 125K on the engine, and for the last 40k or so have had a 10% puilley on it. I guess this will give me a reason to get some head work done!

Back