PDA

View Full Version : shaky shifter? Ideas

Boostman23
03-04-2003, 09:00 PM
I have a 93 5 spd that has a shifter that shakes around. I have replaced the motor mounts and trans with solid ones. The shifter was replaced with a B&M unit and is secured correctly.

When I rev the engine quickly it moves the shifter and the engine moves a bit from the torque, but seems to snap quickly back if I left off fast? I noticed that the rubber stop on the drivers side motor mount is missing, could this be part of the problem?

I also have upgraded exhaust, and did not utilize the center hangers where the resonator used to be, could this be part of the problem. I was thinking this might cause most of the movement as the exhuast bounces up and done, which might cause the trans to move up and down as well.

I am not real sure what the problem is but I had the exact same problem in my 90, which is wrecked, and now the same drivetrain and motor are in this 93.

I really hate hitting bumps and seeing my shifter move all over as I know it is not supposed to.

Any help would be greatful!

Night-Ryder
03-04-2003, 10:54 PM
I remember my shifter used to kinda vibrate a lot with the car idling or in motion but i later found out my engine mounts were broken! As soon as i got then replaced it vibrates a little now but when i rev the engine the shifter kinda pulls to the right and then also snaps back to the orginal spot when i let off the gas. Im only mentioning this cause it happened after i had the new mounts put in and my car is also a 1993 5spd
I still havent found the problem if there even is any.
(ps my shifter bounces like crazy over bumps too)

1BADSC
03-05-2003, 01:27 AM
I have never seen a manual car where the shifter didn't move. Unless the engine and tranny are welded into place I think they will always move just a little.