How do i get that thing off !! and what is that ?

Night-Ryder

Hey everyone,
Im currently doing my head gaskets and i have run into some problems along the way most of which i have so far overcome.
Anyways, i am down to the fuel rail and injectors and so forth but i am having a hell of a time removing the plenum that goes into the manifold from the lower IC tube. And for that matter is there any easy way to remove the far right bolt from the manifold with all those lines back there ? I almost passed out today cause of the gas smell under my hood from the injectors not being drained(i didnt wanna start the car to drain them with the head gaskets blown). It took me a good 3 hours to get the bolts off the manifold and im down to just that one !
Also when i was fighting off some of the tubes for the plenums a tube with a plastic picce on the end cracked.

The piece had a tube going in , then two things sticking out with caps on them (looks like a tire air filler cap thinggy and then a tube that comes out What is that and can i just replace it with a striaght tub if those other to things had caps on them anyways.
If i cant do this im just gonna front the money for a shop to do the rest cause this has just been a nightmare so far.

Just one more thing
i keep hearing this talk of spun bearing and rods and such. What are these and should i replace them if im doing my head gaskets?

Thanks in advance
Nick

You can remove the rail and injectors without actually taking the injectors off the rail. They stay together, and it won't leak fuel that way. It's probably advice too late, but maybe for next time.

to get the return plenum (thing that attaches lower I/C tube to manifold) get a 9" socket extention, and remove your wiper cowl. That will allow you to just feed the extention down there and easily remove it.

as for the rest, just follow a shop book. It sounds like you are getting in pretty deep, so you should find some books to help you out. Also, the rod bearings are in the bottom end, which would require an engine rebuild.

Brian

thing off !! and what is that ?

Sounds like you underestimated the amount of work and difficulty that is involved in this job, its not for the faint of heart and you need a lot of tools and info. There are a couple of must have items, 1 a shop manual, 2 good tools, 3 lots of patients, good organization. I've seen several SCs junked because the HG job proved to be too much for the owners to complete. As you take things off the car, you need to label everything, like with tape and a marker for both sides of a vac hose that you unplug. I use zip lok bags for nuts & bolts with labels saying where they came from b/c it may be weeks or months before they are ready to go back on. I know what you mean about the bolt on the back of the drives side head, it also doubles as a ground, I shortened the bolt and also growned the bracket hole so I can slip it on & off without removing the whole bolt for next time. There is a hidden bolt under the lower IC tube. Disconnecting the battery and shutting off the fuel switch in the trunk are the first things you should have done, that would have depressurized the fuel so you don't start a fire. I would stop and get a shop manual and go back a label the stuff you took off before going any farther. Good Luck

Back