liquid intercooler...

I saw that and I had thought about putting in a bid, but I was concerned about the fact that the back end was totally sealed up... seems to me that it should work kind of like a radiator, in which case you'd want the air to cool the fins and the liquid?? Could be wrong though.

you have to...

run a heat exchanger (some type of cooler such as a transmission cooler or extra radiator) and water pump with the unit.

First I have heard of that one. Looks like he had it "Brofessionally" Tig welded to me.

Jeff

It looks like all the guy did was weld a box around the stock IC, and put a fitting on either side. Doing it that way doesn't allow control of the coolant flow. It's going to go where ever it wants (path of least resistance). He would probably have an easier time selling it if he left the stock IC tube connections in tact.

Not a good design IMO.

David

And what pray tell cools the water? Someone would need to show me how a water intercooler setup could remove more heat that an air/air IC setup. OK.. so lets pretend you're a clever guy and you realize that the water gives you more heat transfer at the core of the IC. Fantastic... you got rid of the heat from the compressed air.. but by doing so, you put all that heat into the water... now you have heated water... Hmmmm.... what now? You send the water through an water/air radiator? Seems that it would need to be at least as large as the original IC which sort of puts you right back at square 1.

Kind a sort a....Ok
You have a water to air intercooler. Water is routed through the intercooler into a radiator in which it is cooled, then into a reserve in whici ice may reside. The main benefit, and correct me if I am wrong, is the idea of being able to remote mount the radiator and not have to worry about large air tubes. Also, you can get a really cool air charge by adding ice to the mix. The down side is on hot days, the water will quickly reach temp and the advantages will be neglegible unless you are running a very large radiator/heatexchanger.
This is how I believe it works.
Regards,
TBSCoupe

It's easier to conduct heat out of water than air as well. So a much smaller "radiator" can be used to cool the water than would be necessary to cool the air charge itself.

The problem I see

It will most likely cool better then a factory IC after spending another $500 min between a heat exchanger water pump and new IC tubes..However....The stock IC core flows worth crap....The other setup had high flow spearco cores..Big difference!

Looks to me like the plan was to use it like the "aftercooler" that is used on the Vortech Centrifical supercharger comonly used on 5.0 litre Mustangs these days. There's also a buy on the Merkur website that's got one going for that car (XR4Ti).
Just my 3.8 cents.:)

Hey I had this idea...

Just weld a box around the stock intercooler. But my idea was to use bigger inlet an out let pipes located a bit better.

The welds don't look that bad. Of course an electric water pump and a decent sized radiator are a must for getting any benefit from it.

the problem with a welded box around the stock intercooler is hot spots due to a lack of "flow" through the new box. To keep hot water from backing up into the unit you would need to find a way to direct the water flow through the box you create so that all the hot water is exchanged.

Judging by the way that guy described the other one that was for sale, and the way he built/had built he doesn't know jack about IC's. As stated eariler there should have been a fitting on the front and the back the way he has it setup there isn't a path through the core. There is just a passage straight through. Unless there is a baffle down the center of the IC so that water is forced to travel in a double pass fashion then it's heat removal qualities are probably lower than the stock air/air unit. From the pictures it doesn't look like there is. No weld marks nothing. I've seen better welding from a floral arranger.

Jeff

Back