H&R or Eibach, that is the question

ChrisPearl95

Just ordered 18x8 wheels with 255/45/18 Yokohama AVS sports. Do you guys think the HR 1.7 front drop will casue problems with rubbing with this size tires.

One of them is progressive, Eibach's right? Could I get a good explanation of the difference?

thanks guys,

Chris:rolleyes:

You're right, the Eibachs are progressive rate springs. To keep it simple ... progressive springs get stiffer the more you compress them. This is good for street driving because it allows you to have a nice cushy ride most of the time, but when you start leaning on the car in the corners, it stiffens up.

Linear rate springs are just that. The pressure stays the same all the way through the spring travel. This is better suited for road racing/autocross because it gives the driver a consistent feel for the car.

Hope that helps.

Yep,

that helps. I guess that's why the HR's are lower in the front by .02. I guess depending on driving, the Eibachs will give where the HR's stay the same.

I assume Eibachs will be best fore my wheel/tire size?

Thanks

MY OPINION!

Our cars are so heavy we really dont need a progressive spring..Im running S/T springs..Stiffer then both H&R and the Eibachs...And well they are linear and the car still drives great with 245/45/17..Just my input..Have tokikos as well

Last edited:
good point damon

i saw some st's on ebay for like 112$. You really like them? Ever rode in a car with the other types?

Chris

H&R's

255/45/18's will look too small in the wheel well. I think you may need to move up to 55's or the sapce between the tire and the fender will look like the Grand Canyon, but you won't rub with either the 45's or 55's. I'm running H&R's and Bilsteins.

Val

255/55/18??

is that what you mean? What size are your tires with h and r springs? What about rubbing inth front with 255's and a 1.7 inch drop?

Chris

I thought.

That linear rate springs are harsher in their ride. But you can cut a linear rate spring and still have the same spring rate right?

I rode around in Rico's car with the cut S/T springs and the ride was fine. It just felt sportier than stock.

You can't cut progressive rate springs.

The t-bird does come stock with progressive rate springs. Alot of guys with the eibachs complain that they are too floaty at low speeds. I dunno.

I saw a list of advertized spring rates for all the available springs for our cars and Eibach had the higest of all the brands.

nice pix

what size are your tires/wheels? I am trying to find out if I would have problems with 255/45/18's rubbing with the 1.7 front drop?

Thanks,

Chris

Tire Size

Hey Chris, don't know what I was thinking but I am running 255/45/18's. I rub a little in the rear when I have the trunk loaded or if I have people in the back seat. When I'm out solo or w/someone riding shotgun I have no clearance issues. I have some airbags for the rear springs but no time to install right now.

Val

KOOL

That's what I was looking for. I was planning to do air bags as well, so the rear should not be a problem. I was thinking that the fronts would rub during hard turning. I have the order waiting in my cart on tirerack. I was waiting until I heard back from someone with HR's and the same size tires.

Thanks alot.

Chris:D

Mine came on the car. They are only 245/45/17. I plan on upgrading to 255/40/17 in the front and 285/40 in the rear in early spring. I have the airlift kit on order because I heard that there will be little rubbing without them.

I've got the H&R springs on mine and like the way they feel, just like stock. I also have rear air bags to stop tires from rubbing the fender lips with people in the back seat.

David

PS: Tirerack had the best prices when I bought mine.

Hey Dave,

just ordered HR's from tirerack. Itried last night, but there was an error with there system. I am going to get airbags as well, even though noone ever sits inmy back seat. I will post a pic when I get the new wheels and tires mounted.

I ended up ordering from Discount Tire, ATS Mercury 18x8's with 255/45/18 yokohama AVS sports.

Thanks for all the info :D

Chris

Back