superchargers

smokymance

i got a question about superchargers. im not that good with the diff kinds and im asking...what is the difference b/w the 89-93 sc and the 94/5 SCargers. then we got the aftermarket for other cars like the centrifugal. just wondering about all the diff ones out there.

'89 - '93 were not as efficient as the '94 - '95. The big difference is a larger air intake to the sc and newer more effecient gears that allowed for teflon (or something like that) coating on the roaters for a "closer shave" to the housing. End result, more air flow with less revs. The big difference between a roots and centrifigal is how the air is forced out of the sc. My understanding of a roots style is that is displaces a set amount of air per revolution. I'm not up on how centrifigals work, but I do know that they are much more efficient in that they produce less heat at the same lvl of boost that a roots does. I know there are some experts out there who can explain it much better than me, but I think that is it, brolen down to its simplest form. And there are other types out there as well that are more efficient than our roots, but I really can't get into the specifics as to how they are different. I just don't know that much....yet.

a centrifugal style blower creates boost just like a turbo except it's driven by the engine rather than the exhaust.
there is also a screw type blower that George D. (gldiii) is planning on putting in his car (eventually...not really his fault, LOT'S of custom work). those types of blowers use two screw shaped rotors to compress air and create boost. i know that this isn't the most accurate info, but i hope it helps:)

Back