Rear end gear ratio 95 auto?

Blownaway

Can someone tell me what rear end gear ratio I can expect to find in a 95 SC w/ automatic trans? w/ 5 Speed trans?:)

I never seen 3.31 come factory in any year sc.

The base gear that the LX got was 3.08, i'm not sure if sc's got the 3.08 gear, and the option is 3.27. I'm pretty sure the 95 sc has 3.27 trac loc. The five speed has 2.73

Since when in the hell do 94/95 auto SC's have trac-lok and 3.27's? You have been severly mis-informed my friend. The SC did infact have 3.31:1 ratio and has a traction control system which sucks and is totally different than the trac-lok for the 89-93 AOD equipped cars and the 5-speeds. The 94 and 95 SC are one tire fire cars from the factory.

Only those with traction control use the open diff. The 5sp cars HAVE traction lock. I am not sure wether or not 5sp cars had traction control or not, but I do know that the cars that don't have traction control have traction lock. The reason, as far as I know, that they use an open diff in the trac control is that the rear brakes are used as part of the traction control function.

Jeff

Yes 3.31's in the auto. I have a set here pulled from a 94' auto.

Look on the drivers door pillar post for the "AX" on the label, that code tells you what diff & ratio you have. Both were options on new cars, so you can't go by a blanket statement. good luck

My driver's door pillar post for the "AX" on the label says "E"
What would this mean for a 90SC?
Thanks!

What does it mean, Under AX on mine it says "9" what does that mean. and that site does not list all the options and gear ratios.

Last edited:
"9" is the infamous 3.31. No clue why Ford used that when 3.27 seems to be the standard.

I have no idea why "9" isn't on the TCCoA article, but I think that's the only one that's missing. I couple years ago I was trying to figure out what my "9" meant, and it wasn't on the list. I finally figured it out.

Dale

That is what I thought. The 3:31's would be a better performance gear than the 3:27's. Look at Corvette, Viper, and Trans-Am they all had an option for a 3:32 performance rear axle.

Last edited:
live and learn,

I have never heard of 331 in my entire life. Thats why I said "i think"

Thanks for correcting that.

JH

Thin is in but Fat is where it's at! And these cars are plenty fat so all the help we can get id great, even if it is only 1.2%. He he.

laughable

forget the 1.2% that the 3.31's give you. upgrade to 3.73's in the automatic SC's and THEN you'll have something noticeable.

Jeff

3:73's in an auto equal out to be the same speed per gear as 3:55's in a 5-speed. And i used to have 3:55's in my 5-speed and they suck, my times were actually slower with the 3:55's compared to the 3:08's I'm running now. For My auto I am going to run 3:55's which would have the same speed per gear as 3:27's in a 5 speed. I do some highway driving on 6 hour trips so I hate having to run between 2500 and 2700 Rpms just to go 65-70 MPH. I think the 3:55's will be perfect for my auto.

1BADSC-

Please scan and post a copy of your timeslips of your runs using both the 3.55 gears and the 3.08 gears. i'm curious and i'd like to see them for myself.

Jeff

Back