Obvious signs

Night-Ryder

Okay heres the deal
Ive blown the head gaskets on my 93' with 170,00km
ive been told by many people my odds of replacing the gaskets with no lower engine damage are about 70% which isnt good odds to front the $1400 to fix it then have it break on me a week later from a spun bearing or somthing.

Is there anyways i can tell how bad the car is and if its got a chance of surving a head gasket replacement ?
It blew the gaskets on the highway and the car turned off on me an wouldnt start, so it hasent been driven at all since the faliure.
Is there like a sign i could check for like coolant color or oil or what ?
I need to know ASAP cause tomorrow morning is decision time.

Ok, Here's my opinion and experience....

I have three SC's and had four at one time. The gaskets were gone on my 89 and I thought the bottom end would be OK.

WRONG!!!!!!

Two weeks later, spun bearing....

Anyway, check engine oil, if full of coolant, and over 100,000 miles, do whole thing. You can do bottom end for another $600 and have new motor.

I have seen too many people do the wrong thing and that is to try to start the car after the gaskets went. This is VERY BAD.

When the gaskets go, the cylinder fills with fluid and when you try to start it, you cannot compress the fluid.

You wind up bending a rod.

Just my .02

Don

What if
Mine blew comming off the highway
i tryed to start her a few times now knowing it was the head gaskets. Until i opened the hood. When i cranked her coolant would come up from the rad im guessing caused the pistons were pushing it . How bad is it ? cause im dealing in canadian funds here and its like $3000 cad to have the engine rebuilt which i just can not afford.
Thanks for ur input guys
Ps dipstick comes out perfectly black no visible coolant from what i can see
is this a good sign >?

When I blew my gaskets back in december my car was running fine one minute and the next i noticed a vibration in my steering so i popped the hood and the rad. was smoking and bubbling so i shut it off and checked the oil it was fine. So the next day i had my dad hual it to my g-fathers garage. I was just lucky i guess, but it really smoked when i tried to get it on the hualing trailer.

Back