Taurus SHO vs. SC????

got-sc?

hey i have a question for u guys why is a stock SHO faster than a stock SC?? can u put an sho engine inside an SC??

why the hell would you put a SHO motor in an SC it has no torque. Its a high revving yamaha motor. It makes slightly more hp stock but has less torque. The SHO vs. SC race is really up to the driver. I've lost to a stock 91 SHO in my 5-speed and beat its *** with my auto go figure. It was all about who got the better launch.

The older ones are supposed to be the fastest, before they came with automatics, IIRC. Still, wrong wheel drive. You can pick them up real cheap. Wouldn't mind having one for my wife.

dohc v6 i think

Did not know they had a supercharged version. I like the body of the V6's better than the later ones.

I'm not experienced to answer that right, but I did consider one before settling on buying the SC. The only Taurus we've had was a '97, "non-SHO". Totally different animal. What I've heard is that they are very good cars, but you don't want to have any problems with that Yamaha engine. Technical and costly to repair. Solid though. The older ones with the 6 are much faster than the later ones with the V8. Could swear I've heard talk about being prone to clutch problems? Wish I could remember the changeover year, 92? Same similar body style, but some other things changed. Weight and maybe transmission etc. Then the big changeover in '97 that went to the V8 and newer body style. Nicer car, but not as powerful.
They pop up on Ebay with some very reasonable prices. There was a '98 with 60k miles for 7,000 in perfect shape. The older ones are also very good buys.
Some good info sites:

http://www.shoforum.com/cgi-bin/Ultimatebb.cgi Good forum

http://www.shotimes.com/php-bin/ Lots of FAQ type info

HTH. They really are cool cars.

Sorry I could have sworn that I saw an early model 1989 Ford Tarus SHO with the Supercoupe engine in it.

the tauras is a good car. The SHO is pretty neat, but like they said no torque.

These cars however do have problems with the rear brakes. the calipers stick and sometimes lock up.

Chris

I've owned both and the SHO ('90 5-speed) smoke an SC stock for stock. The SHO is also the most dependable high performance car I've ever owned, even with mods. It outlasted most of my normal cars also. The SHO has torque it's just spread out over a longer rev range. With 4.10 gears who needs it anyways. Mine would spin easily on launch then spin again when the secondarys opened at 3200 RPM in first and second. My ex took it with her when she left and I still miss her (the car). Lots of fun blowing away people who never suspect it or taking trips at 110 MPH with plenty of comfort and room for everone. The SC can overpower the SHO for way less effort and money though and the SC is a better drivers car. Having both was really cool.

An SC with a SHO motor would be cool, especially bored and stroked to 3.8 liters using dished pistons and a blower or turbos. The Yamaha 3.0 is a small lightwieght V6 that can produce obscene HP per liter without breaking a sweat. It's kind of like the new Cobra 32V V8's. Add a little boost, cams, exhaust, or anything and it will fly.

hmm..

Kinda funny actually. Three of my friends own SHO's. We have a 91 Plus, a 95 ATX and a 93 ATX with a Ted. B LPM and a 73 mm MAF. We were in my buds 91 AUTO SC (were all friends and always argue about who's cars are faster) against are friends 91 plus. The first time the SC got a slightly better launch and won, the second time the SHO launched better and won by 3/4 of a car length.

ANSWER ????????????????

i HAVE 2 SC,S MY SON HAS THE A 90 5 SPEED SHO.WE STILL HAVEN,T BEEN ABALE TO PUT THE QUESTION TO REST........HE HAS REPLACED THE CLUTCH AND GEARS . the 6,s have less problems than the v 8,s it seems that the gears on cams.shear off ,read the lawsuit againist ford because of it.........................FAST FREDDIE. :) :) :)

Apples & oranges

My stock 90 35th is quicker off the line, but the 98 3.4 V8 SHO turns on above 3,000rpm, shifts @ 6,500 and will ease on by at the top of 2nd gear. The 98 is over 300lbs heavier than the early SHO's. As both mine are fully loaded, power everything & mooroof, the SHO is probably about that much lighter than the 35th.

I also had an 88 TC before my first SC (both bought new) and I believe there's a similar type of difference between the early and late SHO's. One's lighter with lower output, the other heavier, higher output and similar performance.

Last edited:
Whoopass!

I'll say this. With my bird, I beat the pants off of a SHO. It was a 93 SHO, and I took him by about 4 carlengths. He felt stupid. But I does depend on the driver as well. He raced me with another person in the car, and with his windows down. He also didn't heat dem up at the line prior to racin me. It was a 5 spd sho as well. Anyways, I'll take an SC over and SHO anyday.

Ya, I ran a 94-95 5spd at a track one time. I had exhaust mods and I beat him, but I know he ran about 91-92 in the 1/4 and I was running 94. So I am pretty certain he would have smoked me stock for stock seeing I ran 89mph stock. The SC really has a big advantage off the line.

Ya gotta remember...

a 95 is 3-5 10th's quicker than a 90 SC and the 97-99 SHO a hair quicker than the V6's (although you'll hear a lot of debate on that). So, a stock 98 SHO is just a tick quicker than a stock 90 SC, drivers being equal. :rolleyes:

And yes, I prefer my SC's too. ;)

Last edited:
Back