Can his car beat mine :(

dirtybird95

Alright guys, big problem!! I have a 95 SC Stick and my buddy just got a 1998 Buick Regal GS. I don't know if any of you know about that car but it's built for old people but it has balls! It also has a 3.8 Supercharged Engine. It also has 240hp at 5000 rpms. I've always had the fastest car out of my buddies and now you're telling me this "suit and tie/ going gray" buick can beat me in a race?! I havn't had the guts to really race him yet, because i don't race anything i'm not sure i can beat! My car is stock and a stiick. His is stock and auto. Let me know what you think. Either way i will be getting my exhaust done very soon so there will be no question!!!

Thank you

hmmm

I think it would be a close race. I thought I read somewhere in here that a pontiac GTP runs 15.4 in the 1/4. (which I believe is the same thing ) A stock 95 stick runs low 15's so I think ( granted both cars are in good running condition ) it would be a drivers race. I think you have the advantage just because you have the weight transfer/ traction advantage of a rear wheel drive.

I think you will come out on top, but not by much. His cars gonna spin badly becuase of what was already said wieght transfer. I seen one of those regal gs's on car and driver it lit the tires up for like 30-40 ft. There supposed to run real close to what a gtp is but i think they wheigh more.

The Regal GS is pretty much the same as a GTP and will run high 14s stock. From a stop you have an advantage with better traction, from a 15-20 mph roll he will be quicker.

My wife drives a 99 GTP and it's quick, generally running mid 14s on the track. She attends local SC meets and almost always beats the stock and mildly modded SCs.

David

Is your wifes gtp stock? If so its a quick gtp ive heard of guys getting a pulley and runnin high to mid 14s but from all i have heard there a 15.0-15.5 cars.

Stop light to stop light, and 1/4 mile are two very different things. On the street, (ie stop light to stop light) You should be able to kick some asz. The SC's has a huge torque advantage, which should get you out of the hole quite a bit quicker. The Buick won't have enough room to really get that engine up and running before you have to slow down. You see what I'm saying?

I did beat a stock '99 GTP a couple of times. I'm not really sure how though, now that I think about it. At the time, I had a K&N filter and exhuast. We went out to a closed highway, marked out a 1/4 mile, and went at it. I spun like a bitch out of the hole, and he got 1-2 car lengths on me. Now here is the wierd part. About half way down, I pulled on him like a bizitch and blew past him and ended up about 1-2 car lengths in front. Yeah, I know, isn't that just wrong. I was surprised to that I pulled on him that hard on the top end. The GTP did have to have it's tranny rebuilt the next week, so that might of had something to do with it. AND, he was kinda an idiot and was doing burnouts and donuts, and stuff for about 20 minutes before I showed up, so that couldn't of helped him. I don't know, we did it twice and had the exact same result both times.... I was going to race my friend in his '67? Chevelle 327, but the cops showed up and we had to scattered. Oh, and this other kid had a beat down pos '86 Supra with 180K miles on it and was always talking crap. I was going to smoke him also, but like I said, the cops showed up. Anyway, that was back when I was really stupid.(ie 17 year old in high school with 315 ft. lbs. of torque). Anway, sorry about the length, I was just reliving the past.......

Thomas

Oh man, my older brother has a GTP, isn't that great!! So i can beat the regal from stop light to stop light? That would be good because that's probably where we would end up racing.
How does front wheel drive slow him down anyways? I've always wondered. My problem is if i really put the peddle down i spin out bad and don't get a good start.
Do you think that getting a good ehaust upgrade would put me ahead of the stock GTP and Regal?!?! Does the fact that they are automatic stow them down at all?

Just some questions from a rookie. Thanks for the help!

Is your wifes gtp stock?

It was until last year when I switched the supercharger pulley for a smaller one (3.2"). It just made the tires spin worse and bogged it down on the top end, running 14.9-15.3 @ 89. I made a 3.6" dia pulley that is just a little smaller than the stock (about 5%) and now it runs faster again.

Her best time was when it was completly stock was 14.1 @ 96, on that day it was very cold and usally running 14.3. Now with lousy traction and worn tires she runs about 14.4-14.6 on every pass.

Several of the guys that post here have raced her. Her car is a bit of a freak, the quickest stock GTP anyone else had ever seen was 14.3. Most I've seen run high to mid 14s with a fresh air intake and a 3.4" pulley. And mid to low 14s with that stuff and a cross over pipe for the exhaust.

I don't like the car, but my wife loves it. Here is a picture from one of our mini-meets.

Gateway.jpg

David

Last edited:
I think the track could be part of the reason for it being a 'freak' too. Some tracks a slightly 'faster' than others. For instance, Norwalk Raceway Park (near Clevelan) is known around here for being sticky and 'heavy' leading to good 60' times but low trap speeds. Quaker City Dragway (south eastern Ohio) is known for being a little faster with less grip on the concrete (first 100' or so). So a GTP/GS might be faster at Norwalk with the added traction on the line and the SC might be a little faster at Quaker City.

Driver has alot to do with taking advantage of the track too. Dumping the clutch in a 5spd is a sure fire way to slide into the guardrail. It takes a delicate touch to launch a 5spd hard. I hold the revs around 2500 and murder my clutch to launch hard. XR7 Dave is one of the few other 5spd drivers that seems to have it down. I've pulled a whole string of 1.93 60' times on street tires w/3.08 gears. It can be done.

Steve

I raced a Stock GS w/ my 90 SC when I had intake mods only. He beat my ***. We ran pretty close up to like 40 and he walked me after that.

Never raced it w/ my 5-speed cuz at the time it wasn't running (sat for a year). Now I drive the 5-speed but the guy no longer owns the GS.

I have seen Kathy's GTP run low 14's. Incredible. I have seen under the hood... stock except for the pulley now. Damn.

Don't underestimate the low-end ability of the GTP/GS, wheel spin is their biggest enemy, but they have thepower to get off the line in a hurry

Back