Loud KLUNK in Right rear

8_legged_chickN

there is a loud klunk sound in the right rear like when i shift if i jerk at all it knocks and **** in the rear not sure where to start.....

thanks for your help

tom

I had that, it was a wheel bearing, they have to be pressed in and out. You will also have to replace the axle nut becasue it is a one time use only part. I tried to use the old nut again and after a week or so it would just back off again. You can get them at Ford for about 7 bucks a pop.

I would replace the IRS bushings first. To check them jack the rear of the car up and check the bushings on the front of the differential. There should be two bushings for each side. Usually the right one gets destroyed in 5spd cars as that is the side that takes the most punishment from the torque.

If you want to check the rear wheel bearing, just try to move the tire/rim in and out. If the bearing is bad there should be movement in and out. Also if you drive the car and let off the gas you might notice a slight wagging of the rear end of the car.

I would almost guarantee that it is the IRS bushings which you can get from MN12Performance.com for $45 I think.

Quickest way to tell is to jack up the back end of the car and see if you can get any play in the rear wheel, put one hand on top and one hand under the tire and try to push the top of the tire towards the car while pulling up on the bottom of the tire and see if it works back and forth, if it does you have a bad wheel bearing.

Back