How much for for new supercharger

RedruM

i blew out my supercharger in my 1990 SC and i was wondering aprox. it would cost me to get it running again. thanks for any help.

700 bucks at Autozone. The Supercharger is rebuilt by Holley. You can order the older style or the newer style

What about labor? I'm not very mechanically inclined but if it is a fairly simple procedure i might be willing to take on the challenge. Where can i get some information on how to do this?

The labor on removing the charger is three bolts through the charger and a few off the top and back.

Not hard at all.

Anthony

Like i said, i'm not very mechanically inclined so i'll just tell you what i know. I was driving my SC and it started to slow down untill eventually it cut off, basically acting like i had just run out of gas even when the tank is full. My mechanic told me after taking nearly 2 weeks to diagnose the problem that it was the result of a blown supercharger, and it would cost upwards of $2,500 to replace. That is why i came here, because that seemed a bit high since i did some research and found that the parts needed would cost less than 1/3 of that amount. I'm not sure if this will really help you to answer my question but its all i really understand of the situation.

How much for a new supercharger

How well do you know this mech.? I smell a rat. If you can get a rebuilt for $700 what is the other $1700 for. I would get a second opinion. Blown out supercharger sure sounds fishy to me. Tim

I know the mech. very well as he has been working on my cars for as long as i have been driving and my fathers cars for probably 25 years now, but i agree with you about this smelling very fishy.

I priced a new supercharger from Ford a few years ago and they wanted $2,500.00 for it.
I'm not sure what Ford would want now, but your mechanic probably called Ford to get a price. (It's not a part that you would figure your local auto parts store could get).

That seems logical. I will ask them about that and i will try and find out the labor if i bring my own part. Thank you all very much.

Would a "blown supercharger" (there's a weird sort of pun...) cause the engine to just die like that? I once broke the sc belt which effectively disabled the blower, but the car still ran fine - just without all that extra power...

i would be very concerned about that. i have never heard of a blown supercharger causing the engine to just die. I think you have another problem that you better get checked out. You might want to ask him how he came to that conclusion about your supercharger.

You just don't blow a supercharger, they may leak a little oil or some boost/vacuum but it's not like an automatic tranny.

If in fact the supercharger has seized up, the belt would squeal until it broke and it might kill the engine. However as was already mentioned, because of the bypass valve if belt was removed it would still run fine. There just wouldn't be any boost.

If you do need another supercharger, you can buy a used early style one for around $200 and labor shouldn't be more than 1.5 hrs to install it. If you don't have EGR it can be swapped in 30 minutes.

David

PS: Do you live in NC ?

Last edited:
I agree... I just seen a couple blowers in the parts section here running between 100 & 200 bucks.. Functioning blowers (so the add states).

If you have someone knowledgable do it. Shouldn't take more than 30 minutes.

Anthony

You guys have helped alot. I'm going to take it to a different mechanic in the morning to get another opinion, because from what you have told me it doesnt even sound like it has anything to do with the supercharger. I'll let you know how it goes.

Matt

oh and david, i live in South Carolina

Head gaskets anyone ?
As u all probably know when my car blew its gaskets
the car just died out right there and then on the highway.
Didnt feel any power loss before hand because i was slowing down anyways.

Back