PDA

View Full Version : Projector lens development for 89-93 style Tbirds?

phils89sc
03-06-2003, 03:59 PM
I work at a PC and Printer Service and Repair company here in Charlotte, NC. We also have a division of our company that sells the HID light kits and high intensity bulb replacements for just about every car under the sun.

What I want to know is if anyone is interested in developing or getting developed a set of HID LENSES, not just a bulb/ballast kit for our 89-93 Tbirds. I myself have an 89 SC, and have cleaned up the factory lenses using the wetsanding and high speed buffing technique. This works ok, for a little while, but the lenses will eventually yellow again.

If I get enough interest in this, I may be able to convince one or more of our vendors to make a prototype for possible development, or maybe someone already has an idea or better yet, actual designs on paper for the projection type lenses. This could also apply to 1994-1995 as well.

We currently have the HID kits for the 89-93 & 94-97 Tbirds, but they utilize the factory lenses. Sure they would be better than stock bulbs, but the way I see it, to get the maximum gains from the HID's requires new lenses that WILL yellow after a couple of years and then you have to go buy new lenses again.

If you are interested, either email me at [email protected], or go to www.brightheadlights.com and check out what we have and leave us some mail. If enough of us can get onboard and show a demand for these projector lenses, there may be a chance we get get the ball rolling on development and production.

Thanks,

Phil Stocker

Digitalchaos
04-05-2003, 07:25 PM
If they can design the lenses to focus the light well with minimal refracting glare and correct placement, I would certainly consider them. I have been looking for an alternative, especially now.

My lenses are slightly yellow. After installing Silverstar bulbs last night, I was amazed that the difference was not actually that significant. I could see the color difference when looking at the surrounding glow, but output was not increased significantly. I know this is because of the terrible yellow lenses, which aren't even that yellow, due to the fact that I have these silverstars on my Wrangler also. The Wrangler uses glass housings, and the difference between its stock halogens and its new silverstars was incredible. The low beams are as bright as the old high beams! In addition, a friend had a new ranger with very clear lenses to compare to my stock halogen headlamps on my Thunderbird. Both the ranger lamps & Thunderbird lamps have similar performance because they are both Ford units. However, the Halogen bulbs in the ranger looked very white compared to the same brand & type bulbs in my Thunderbird. Another consequence of the yellowing.

It is unfortunate that the manufacturers switched to plastic from glass supposedly for expense. These plastic units are 200 a piece new from Ford, the old glass was 300. I would have gladly paid an extra 100 to have flawless output for the life of my car!!

Thrty5thSC
04-06-2003, 01:18 AM
Sounds interesting, I would be a buyer.
joe

1BADSC
04-06-2003, 02:44 AM
If you did want to go the new route, you can go to autozone and get new ones for around 130-160. Or try online at www.autozone.com they should be listed under collision parts.

SilverCasket
04-06-2003, 04:16 AM
I'm A Buyer... To The Drawing Board!

Anthony

ponysc
04-06-2003, 05:06 AM
I'll definitely buy! But only if you produce the '96-'97 style..

hell, I'll pay up to $400/pc if I have to. (Not trying to set a price or nothing, but that's what they'd be worth to ME on my baby!)

It might be a prob to satisfy everyone...

Chris

stevexr7sc
04-06-2003, 01:40 PM
I own a xr7 and would be very interested in the lenses. I'm tired of the yellow factor setup. Keep us posted.
Steve J.

XxSlowpokexX
04-06-2003, 10:38 PM
94-95..Hell yah

Nettlesd
04-07-2003, 10:26 AM
phils89sc,

How about a group buy on what you offer now. I would be interested in the 9007 Bi-Xenon Kit.

racecougar
04-07-2003, 11:25 AM
I would be very interested in both the 89-93 and the 94-95, oh and the 89-90 Cougar.

GooeyGus2
04-07-2003, 08:17 PM
definately interested.

Nick Sc
04-07-2003, 09:27 PM
I'll take a pair!!! Right Now.

dead_lx
04-07-2003, 10:51 PM
These yellowed headlights suck

SilverCasket
04-08-2003, 09:27 AM
Do we have another person who makes a post and has a reliability issue??? If we send our money, do we wait forever to get a response?

Where ya at Phil... We have questions.

Anthony

Deep6
04-08-2003, 01:56 PM
I plan on upgrading to the clear 96-97' headlights but I've also noted in another post on this board that true HID lighting systems require the use of parabolic projector lenses (such as the ones seen on BMW's, Lexus, Infiniti, even Volkswagen's Passat)

I was considering actually assembling some units myself when I get the time and money as a little secret project, but it would be great to upgrade my 94-95 plastic composite yellow lenses to nice clean and clear 96-97 clear projector lenses with HID.

Also, could your companies do something about the making HID foglights???????

YeYo
04-09-2003, 05:35 PM
hey
i could make a couple of desings and post them here

o check if u guys like them

James Kanteraki
04-09-2003, 05:59 PM
i like the idea what might be an approximate price??

don't forget if we change the headlights - we need to also change the corner lights (blinkers) to something without those little ripples in them. I don't know maybe the corners from the 97 fits. whatever though, we can't have perfectly clear head lights with rippled corner lights.

jim

The_Ghost
12-20-2006, 05:14 AM
Nobody Ever Developed The Kit. WHAT THE FAULK?.

Brad Klein
12-20-2006, 08:47 AM
Nobody Ever Developed The Kit. WHAT THE FAULK?.

This post is almost 4 years old and the guy hasnt posted on the board since this post do you really think bringing this post up is gonna get him interested again????

Im willing to bet he doesnt have the bird anymore

95scfan
12-22-2006, 01:25 AM
wow thanks for clearin that up for us

Brad Klein
12-22-2006, 09:07 AM
wow thanks for clearin that up for us

Well come on what is the point of complaining about nobody making a kit 3.5 years later if hes really that interested he could have made one himself by now. Or how bout PMing the guy to see if he has done anything with it but bringing up a post that is that old is pointless.

95scfan
12-23-2006, 02:04 AM
yeah i agree was prolly doin a search and didn't see the date

cody

XxSlowpokexX
12-23-2006, 11:04 PM
Perhaps someone should!

95scfan
12-24-2006, 01:54 AM
like i said there is a kit somewhere or someone was one hell of a plastic worker and made it but it looked pretty good it was on a black 94-95 lx

cody

JOE91SC
12-24-2006, 02:55 PM
I'm interested..... if someone makes them.

i already got the HID set up, it would be great to have the projection lens to go with it .

also I'll be interested on a 89-91 sc trunk reflector with the led lights..... if someone makes them.

Scott Long
12-24-2006, 03:30 PM
What temp HID's did you go with? Just the low beam 9006 kit? How do they look at night? Can you post pics?

I've been debating getting an HID kit because my silverstars suck. But I've been told that without a projector lens it will just give off massive glare to oncoming cars and is only slightly better than a good set of headlight bulbs. So before I spend the money on a kit I'd like to know what it looks like both looking at the car and looking out from the windshield. And what are your impressions on the hid lights. What kit do you have?

That is all.

MR95XR7
12-24-2006, 05:34 PM
a guy on tccoa.com his board id is porkchop has made set of projector head lamps for his t-bird.hit him up for some details.
SAL

shadow357x2
12-24-2006, 06:40 PM
heres the link you can start at
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=91963&highlight=projector

Then here to see the actual work http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=72751

And another one http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=aesthetics&Number=1303211&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=1

just follow the links, not for our cars but the theory is the same.
S

95scfan
12-25-2006, 02:13 AM
the down side is they said that they won't make anymore of them

cody

shadow357x2
12-25-2006, 12:31 PM
the down side is they said that they won't make anymore of them

cody

Thats why with alot of other things with these cars that are modified we have to do it ourselves. Interesting project. I will start on a set myself in a few weeks and see how they come out, if it takes as much time as it sounds I can see why they didnt want to make them for everyone else. First the cost of the parts if you buy them new and the time for labor would make them so expensive that CERTAIN people would whine and cry about it. Besides imagine the pride of seeing the finished product of your own project coming together.

S

95scfan
12-25-2006, 09:42 PM
yea i hear that but if you got the skill to do it charge a fair price and make more......but it would be cool to be the first one like porkchop was and say haha i have the first ones..........but i would buy a set reasonably priced of course :rolleyes:

cody

shadow357x2
12-25-2006, 09:53 PM
True, but its a little different when doing one or more for development and going into production. The prototypes are always more expensive to do and then getting them to the production stage with the tooling and all required to mass produce them I dont think it would be cost effective for an individual to beable to offer them.
As I said Ill get started in a few weeks on a set but just ballparking the cost Im guessing it would be about 300-400 just to make a set and also doing a wire upgrade o the vehicle just to be on the safe side. Figure these cars are at least 12 model years old up to 17 so its getting to the point that we will have to lean how to do a lot of the things that need to be done. I knew nothing about these things when I started back in 92 with my first one and with the help of the people here (past and present) I have learned how to fab parts and convert parts to work.
Ill see if I can get the price down on the lights and when I get done Ill let you know about what it will cost minus the labor involved.

S

95scfan
12-26-2006, 02:06 AM
see 300-400(not to price quote) but that seems reasonable for the light set that ur getting and if we can get enough power to them to rival the lexus and some of the benz cars them it will totally be worth it in the end i thought about trying it on a set of lights and coating them with come chrome paint to reflect the light and shave the lens down to very very thin plastic and see how brite they get but i don't have the right tools and no extra lights i have only been in the sc game for a short time but i want the car to look and go fast so keep me posted on the progress i like the way they looked on porkchops black thunderbird

thanks
cody

p.s. i thougth about doing the lights with a bigger one on the fat side and a smaller one in the thinning side but it was just a thought.....:rolleyes:

porkchop2oo2
01-07-2007, 04:55 AM
Making clear headlight housings would cost way too much for the 89-95 guys, so just upgrade to the 96+ style already. and yes if i would get 400+ for a working pair i might produce them, but very slowly lol. getting them in there isnt a problem, its getting them to look clean and not mickey moused is the challenge. i might even just do one more and throw it on ebay and see it go for a nice penny lol

now time for you guys to drool lol

very nice cutoff line:
http://members.tccoa.com/porkchop2oo2/current%20rear.jpg

what it looks like inside the beam pattern:
http://members.tccoa.com/porkchop2oo2/DSCF1934.jpg

what it looks like out of the beam pattern:
http://members.tccoa.com/porkchop2oo2/hid%20h11%20nite%201.jpg

shadow357x2
01-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Making clear headlight housings would cost way too much for the 89-95 guys, so just upgrade to the 96+ style already. and yes if i would get 400+ for a working pair i might produce them, but very slowly lol. getting them in there isnt a problem, its getting them to look clean and not mickey moused is the challenge. i might even just do one more and throw it on ebay and see it go for a nice penny lol

[/IMG]

Yea I read your post and the other I could find and agree with you 100% just too much labor involved to try it.
Ok heres where Im at. I went to the junk yard the other day and got a set of projectors out of a 05 dawoo that looks like they may work, also grabbed a set out of a 06 nissan .
Im going today to get some cutoff blades to dissect the projectors out of the casings with out destroying what may be good working material. Ive already got the lens ready (apart) my biggest concern is the way the lenses are designed, with the lines through them.
As far as mounting them that will wait till I get the donor lights ready and see them side by side. I really dont want to do the coversion to the 97 style because its an anny and I just have to see what it can do with what I have. I may even try to cut and polish the inside to see what I come up with. Luckily I have a good collection of donors here to play with.

S

95scfan
01-08-2007, 12:37 AM
well porkchop i am jealous and 400+ seems very reasonable and i would like to get them in the 96+ but i want really brite lights i was thinking that if i have to TRY to make some i would want to use a big one on the outside and a smaller one on the inside to get the max light but the stock wires won't hold the juice from what i've read care to shed more light on this?

thanks
cody

Flex
01-08-2007, 01:23 AM
Install PIAA extreme white bulbs. Same effect.

porkchop2oo2
01-08-2007, 03:19 AM
Install PIAA extreme white bulbs. Same effect.
HAHAHAHAH!!!!! funny.

halogen bulbs will never put out as much light a hid can, sorry to burst your bubble. "hid like" bulbs are bright but lasts 3-4 times LESS and produce way more heat than hid. i also hate it how piaa and some top manufactors advertise thier bulbs online with pictures of hid powered cars trying to sell thier halogen bulbs. go on ebay and search hid, 50% of the results will be bulbs just like the piaa extreme white. also could you submerge your extreme bulbs in water? i doubt it. think before you reply, thats like saying an electric supercharger is the same as a belt driven one:rolleyes:

95scfan- i was thinking about that also and maybe wanted to put mini-projectors towards the middle, but that would mean more work and more space. its already crammed there now seeing how i have my ballasts for my hids right behind the inner parking lights.

shadow357x2- i wouldnt recommend the pre 96 lights seeing how the lens arent clear and have reflective lens'. i mean it could work and be bright but your not gonna get what you want in the long run. clear lens are the only way to go so if you dont get 96+ lights i would invest in come clear lens' for your pre 96 housings. those would have to be custom made and wouldnt be cheap.

shadow357x2
01-08-2007, 08:56 AM
HAHAHAHAH!!!!! funny.

halogen bulbs will never put out as much light a hid can, sorry to burst your bubble. "hid like" bulbs are bright but lasts 3-4 times LESS and produce way more heat than hid. i also hate it how piaa and some top manufactors advertise thier bulbs online with pictures of hid powered cars trying to sell thier halogen bulbs. go on ebay and search hid, 50% of the results will be bulbs just like the piaa extreme white. also could you submerge your extreme bulbs in water? i doubt it. think before you reply, thats like saying an electric supercharger is the same as a belt driven one:rolleyes:

95scfan- i was thinking about that also and maybe wanted to put mini-projectors towards the middle, but that would mean more work and more space. its already crammed there now seeing how i have my ballasts for my hids right behind the inner parking lights.

shadow357x2- i wouldnt recommend the pre 96 lights seeing how the lens arent clear and have reflective lens'. i mean it could work and be bright but your not gonna get what you want in the long run. clear lens are the only way to go so if you dont get 96+ lights i would invest in come clear lens' for your pre 96 housings. those would have to be custom made and wouldnt be cheap.

Porkchop
Yea I see that thats why Im going to see if there is any way to may sand and buff the insidw and see what I can come up with. Heck they are free so its just a time and labor issue. Besides I can twork right now due to a surgury so Ive gottime to waste. Gotta give it a try though.

Flex
I cant believe you actually thought that would work. Mainly the light pattern is too wide to work and therefore wont light enough road to work. As Porkchop said you will also have a heat problem causing future meltdown somewhere.

S

95scfan
01-08-2007, 02:32 PM
i was just thinking that the more lights you have the brighter but the space was the issue there i tried to buy the silverstar bulbs and others and was really disappointed but then again the lights i have on there now are kinda yellow and i want to track down the pieces to do the conversion....but the trans has to be rebuilt first can you post a pic of the hood open and the downward shot at the lights? i am curious to see how big they are
thanks
cody

shadow357x2
01-08-2007, 02:41 PM
Ok heres the first pics of my newest abortion. So far everything looks good and powering with a 35amp power supply they show out fairly well. I will have so night shots tonight and see what the difference is.
If all works out well all I have left to do is fabbing the casing back together and cleaning those dirty lens that Im using for testers.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m240/shadow357x2/DSC00029.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m240/shadow357x2/DSC00028.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m240/shadow357x2/DSC00027.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m240/shadow357x2/DSC00026.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m240/shadow357x2/DSC00025.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m240/shadow357x2/DSC00024.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m240/shadow357x2/DSC00020.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m240/shadow357x2/DSC00019.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m240/shadow357x2/DSC00017.jpg

95scfan
01-08-2007, 02:50 PM
not lookin to shabby are they gonna be as bright as the others? and are they gonna be blue? the one pic looks like they are gonna be kinda dim but its bright where they are and only runnin off 35amps

keep up the good work
cody

i thought of shaving down the plastic to pretty thin to make them brighter but didn't know how hot they get if thinner would mean brighter

XxSlowpokexX
01-08-2007, 02:54 PM
The nice thing about HID also is that they use less power to run...You gusy would have a better chance getting 89-93 lights made up then I would for 94-95.....Be nice if Icould...But aahhhh

Good luck!

shadow357x2
01-08-2007, 03:07 PM
not lookin to shabby are they gonna be as bright as the others? and are they gonna be blue? the one pic looks like they are gonna be kinda dim but its bright where they are and only runnin off 35amps

keep up the good work
cody

i thought of shaving down the plastic to pretty thin to make them brighter but didn't know how hot they get if thinner would mean brighter

Not sure yet, they are real close to the donor lamp thats still in one piece in the day light, tonight will tell the story as to what they will do. I couldnt get a decent pic straight on either because they just overwehlm the camera and all you get is a blob of light and cant tell whats what.
Im still considering the possibility of maybe sanding the inside of the lens down to get the grooves out and polishing them back to see what happens.
What the heck if it doesnt work at least I can say I tried and was told so also.
Im just hard headed when I get an idea, got to prove it to myself

S

Flex
01-08-2007, 04:18 PM
Shadow,

You can't believe I thought that would work????? The reason I posted it is because not only do I know it works, it has been working in my car for 3 years.

No added heat issues. In fact the only issues I have with it is being flashed on the highway to lower my high beams when the car is in low beam.

I considered the HID conversion, but do not like the way HID systems "flicker" as the car is driving.

Porkchop,

Kudos to you on a nice conversion but if you are going to submerge your headlights in water, your gonna have a hell of a lot more to worry about than just whether or not your lights will be on. So which one of us should be thinking before he replies sub commander.

porkchop2oo2
01-08-2007, 11:49 PM
i was simply just implying that hids are more durable than those bulbs that will overheat and cause a fire, trust me ive seen that happen. and if the bulbs flicker as you drive then someone needs to go back to the drawing board cuz either you had a bad connection or the bulbs are going to ~~~~~.

good job on cuttin apart the lights, but looks to be too big for the application. i thinkthe reflective lens are solid and cant be sanded down but we will see.

as far as clearance wise, that is why i went with single xenon projectors. bi-xenon projectors take up too much room and would be too bulgy. heres what it looks like with the hood open lookin down

http://members.tccoa.com/tccoamike/Complete%20Projectors%206.jpg

shadow357x2
01-09-2007, 12:13 AM
i was simply just implying that hids are more durable than those bulbs that will overheat and cause a fire, trust me ive seen that happen. and if the bulbs flicker as you drive then someone needs to go back to the drawing board cuz either you had a bad connection or the bulbs are going to ~~~~~.

good job on cuttin apart the lights, but looks to be too big for the application. i thinkthe reflective lens are solid and cant be sanded down but we will see.

as far as clearance wise, that is why i went with single xenon projectors. bi-xenon projectors take up too much room and would be too bulgy. heres what it looks like with the hood open lookin down

Yea Im seeing a clearance issue here but I think I can overcome that. I believe that Im going to have to take about 1/8" more off each side to get proper placement in the housing. As I said before Im glad Ive got plenty of donors to play with, Im just happy thatthis is my first casing and havent ruined it yet.
Aiming doesnt seem to be an issue YET but well see.
Ill have more pics tomorrow night as I was watching the game and got side tracked.
The lenses are ridge on the inside I THINK I can sand and polish back down and get a fairly clear lens maybe not perfect but close. I did fire them up for a few minutes tonight and am only seieng a very minimal reduction in light transfer. Even with the cloudy and dirty lens I am seing an improvement.
That still an excellent job on yours , thats basically what gave me the gumption to do it , I guess you can tell this is my first project that I have gone public with, but I got to learn someday.

S

95scfan
01-09-2007, 01:05 PM
cool thanks for the pic.......good looking project shadow let us know how it goes.

cody

seawalkersee
01-09-2007, 02:08 PM
[QUOTE=porkchop2oo2;597985]
as far as clearance wise, that is why i went with single xenon projectors. bi-xenon projectors take up too much room and would be too bulgy. QUOTE]

Huh huh...he said BULGY...

Chopps, what HID did you use for your build? I mean...what car did they come from? Did you ever hook up your high beams?

Chris

Flex
01-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Chris,

Here you go.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=72751

95scfan
01-10-2007, 01:09 AM
cool so someone knows how to build them and now someone can mass produce them or just a few sets for me and a few others :rolleyes: hint hint*waives hundred dollar bills:rolleyes:

cody

porkchop2oo2
01-10-2007, 06:50 AM
they would go on ebay for sure lol...

i would include the complete headlights/hid bulbs/ballasts-wires-relays-etc

i would want at least 500 bucks for all that + a set of new lights that are what 100 on ebay?

i think i agree'd to do someones headlights, but they never went through with it. i think if got $ in advance i would make another 96+ set

seawalkersee
01-10-2007, 12:36 PM
I reread the TCCoA thread and saw that you used a different bulb than you are using in the actualy lamp. Whats up with that? And how do you know which ballast to use? Is that why there are three wires on the back of the lamps?

Chris

shadow357x2
01-10-2007, 01:27 PM
Ive taken the 89-93 lenses to my local body shop to have a friend sand and buff the inside of them out. He says that it will be difficult to do due to the limited area but they should come out fairly clear. They wont be as clear as a set of 96+ plus lenses due to the design, but they will show a major improvement over what I already have. Good to have friends that owe you favors. I'll know more towards the end of the week when I get them back.
Im at a point now where I am just cleaning up the fab work on the housings. Now I know where to cut them and fair sure as to what it will take to rebuild the housings. Final work will go to the body shop to get a more professional appearance.

S

porkchop2oo2
01-11-2007, 12:10 AM
I reread the TCCoA thread and saw that you used a different bulb than you are using in the actualy lamp. Whats up with that? And how do you know which ballast to use? Is that why there are three wires on the back of the lamps?
i am using a h11 hid kit off ebay in the projector housings. i have the hid kit relaye'd with my stock headlight bulb harness to turn on the hid's when i turn my headlight switch to the on position

the ballasts will come with the hid kit and will plug up perfectly

the three wires on the back are for a halogen h11 bulb. that 3rd wire lit up a drl "daytime running light". i no longer have the halogen bulbs in the projectors anymore seeing how i got a h11 kit.

quick35th
01-11-2007, 12:45 AM
I have always wanted HID headlights on my 35th. If you could prodruce a complete ready to install kit I'd gladly pay for it. Driving at night with stock lighting just plain sucks.

Shane

95scfan
01-11-2007, 01:11 AM
yeah i would pay that for them too but the sc doesn't always want to yuo spend money to make it faster or brighter it wants you to fix everything and then re fix it and then maybe you can spend money to put the goodies on it but thats all provided that your sc will cooperate long enough for you to do so................ aren't they just the best:rolleyes:
cody

after looking at some of the hid kits on ebay did you have to have the boxes on the ends or what?

porkchop2oo2
01-11-2007, 03:32 AM
well they sell hid kits in al bulb sizes on ebay, even for pre 94 cars. you could get a hid kit for your 35th

and a box at the end? what? you mean the ballasts? yes you need those

95scfan
01-11-2007, 03:24 PM
ok i had never seen those before

cody

XxSlowpokexX
01-11-2007, 03:27 PM
#1 thing to have good tbird lighting is good lenses..When even slightly yellowed they suck....You can put an HID kit in your car using stock lenses at the risk of blinding everyone on the road :O)

seawalkersee
01-11-2007, 06:28 PM
well they sell hid kits in al bulb sizes on ebay, even for pre 94 cars. you could get a hid kit for your 35th

and a box at the end? what? you mean the ballasts? yes you need those

???????????
Are you saying someone has made a direct fit HID bulb for our cars?

Chris

Brad Klein
01-11-2007, 10:38 PM
???????????

Chris

yes and no read the whole post what he is talking about are just the bulbs that are made to look like HID (or could be HID but you dont want them) if you want HIDs it will have to be a custom job and the 96-97 headlights I think will be the only way to do it. I think sanding down the inside of the lens on the earlier models will be to much work and not worth it.

porkchop2oo2
01-12-2007, 03:36 AM
???????????

DURRRRRR!!!!! ebay is your friend: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/8000K-McCulloch-HID-Xenon-Kit-All-type-Free-Shipping_W0QQitemZ170067436359QQihZ007QQcategoryZ3 6476QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i bought the h11 hid kit and put them in my h11 projectors. you could order any size but without projectors you have terrible glare.

projector on the left and stock housing hid on the right. look towards the ground, which one has more light to the ground? ;) ......that is why i put projectors in.

http://members.tccoa.com/porkchop2oo2/which%20has%20more%20glare.jpg

Brad Klein
01-12-2007, 08:59 AM
I wouldnt suggest any thing over 6000K over that and they start getting to blue and you are putting less light on the road and its harder to see. The easiest way to get the parts is to buy everything all at once, these are one of the best you can get CLICK HERE (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-Acura-TSX-Xenon-Projectors-w-Ballasts-D2Sss-Bulbs_W0QQitemZ160071181986QQihZ006QQcategoryZ3647 6QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) or a set from a S2000 you have to pay for them but they have a smaller size so its easier to retro fit

And this site might be able to do it for you http://www.customlightz.com/

95scfan
01-13-2007, 05:11 AM
DURRRRRR!!!!! ebay is your friend: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/8000K-McCulloch-HID-Xenon-Kit-All-type-Free-Shipping_W0QQitemZ170067436359QQihZ007QQcategoryZ3 6476QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i bought the h11 hid kit and put them in my h11 projectors. you could order any size but without projectors you have terrible glare.

projector on the left and stock housing hid on the right. look towards the ground, which one has more light to the ground? ;) ......that is why i put projectors in.

http://members.tccoa.com/porkchop2oo2/which%20has%20more%20glare.jpg

i had no idea that your hood was open in the pic i was like ~~~????? but then i saw the hood and it made sense
lot more work then i originally thought no wonder it costs a million dollars:rolleyes:

cody

dvldoc
01-31-2007, 01:23 AM
I just put a HID kit from ebay on my 92 Supercoupe, regardless of what people keep saying about (It's going to blind other drivers) do not have them on there vehicle or have not seen them on one of these cars.

The difference is well worth the $119 shipped for this plug and play kit, The light is not as focused as a projector would be but a million times better than my silverstar ultras which i had in my high and low beams.

I had my buddy drive the car while i drove his car after i had the lights aimed the way i wanted them. We were on a two lane road out in the booneys, there is no blinding glare from the lights on the T-bird. It looks no different than any other car with HID's, it actually has alot less glare than most factory installed HID systems.

I even asked the guys at the gate on base are my lights giving of excessive glare, they said no more than any other car.:cool:

So to those who say it will blind other drivers you should try aming your lights first or actually see them installed first.

Don't waist your money on silverstars, trust me you'll love the HID's over regular lights.

This is the kit I got.

http://stores.ebay.com/HID-Outdoor-Equipments_9006-Type-HID-Kit_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ7462142QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Pretty much plug and play, you just have to reverse wires on the harness because the positive and neg have to match the HID harness. I got the 6500K

porkchop2oo2
01-31-2007, 03:13 AM
there is still glare coming out of your headlights. no matter what you say you DO have glare. It might not blind as many people as you think but with projectors there is almost zero glare.

Also with my projectors it puts the light to the ground evenly and is A LOT brighter with the projectors than it was in the normal housing.

So if you think your hid's are bright imagine them even brighter with just adding projectors.

dvldoc
01-31-2007, 04:04 AM
Well i can only state what i see and it doesn't look any different then looking at any other on comming cars headlights. This post was not to bash projectors because they are superior because they focus the light much better. It's to simply put out that HID in the stock housing do not cause a unsafe glare to other drivers. You want to talk glare look at a SUV with HID's like the infinety FX, those blind you.

If i had a 94 SC i would have gone the projector route but with the 92 it's not worth the time on a $1200 car. I have two 130 watt fogs mounted up front and they are no were near the HID's in light ouput. It's a good alternetive to wasting money on silverstars, your better off spending the extra 75 bucks.

porkchop2oo2
01-31-2007, 08:46 AM
It's a good alternetive to wasting money on silverstars, your better off spending the extra 75 bucks.
thats for dam sure...and yes suv's glare is the worst, but thats why i got limo tint:cool:

porkchop2oo2
02-01-2007, 12:52 AM
just some more pics for you guys to drool over...

http://members.tccoa.com/porkchop2oo2/DSCF2342.jpg

http://members.tccoa.com/porkchop2oo2/DSCF2341.jpg

Brad Klein
02-01-2007, 08:49 AM
just some more pics for you guys to drool over...

http://members.tccoa.com/porkchop2oo2/DSCF2342.jpg

Wow thats nice I cant wait till I get mine done but its been 2 years now and with a kid coming any day now I dont see it happening any time soon :D

I bet he doesnt have a cut off like that in the old housings

doug93sc
02-01-2007, 10:55 AM
I just put a HID kit from ebay on my 92 Supercoupe, regardless of what people keep saying about (It's going to blind other drivers) do not have them on there vehicle or have not seen them on one of these cars.

The difference is well worth the $119 shipped for this plug and play kit, The light is not as focused as a projector would be but a million times better than my silverstar ultras which i had in my high and low beams.

I had my buddy drive the car while i drove his car after i had the lights aimed the way i wanted them. We were on a two lane road out in the booneys, there is no blinding glare from the lights on the T-bird. It looks no different than any other car with HID's, it actually has alot less glare than most factory installed HID systems.

I even asked the guys at the gate on base are my lights giving of excessive glare, they said no more than any other car.:cool:

So to those who say it will blind other drivers you should try aming your lights first or actually see them installed first.

Don't waist your money on silverstars, trust me you'll love the HID's over regular lights.

This is the kit I got.

http://stores.ebay.com/HID-Outdoor-Equipments_9006-Type-HID-Kit_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ7462142QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Pretty much plug and play, you just have to reverse wires on the harness because the positive and neg have to match the HID harness. I got the 6500K

So to clairify, you used the factor housings with no modification, had to do a little splicing and had to re-aim the housing lower?

Also did you take any pics of this set up yet?

I have a 92 SC as well so I am really interested in doing this conversion, especially if it will be a lot brighter.

dvldoc
02-01-2007, 01:06 PM
So to clairify, you used the factor housings with no modification, had to do a little splicing and had to re-aim the housing lower?

Also did you take any pics of this set up yet?

I have a 92 SC as well so I am really interested in doing this conversion, especially if it will be a lot brighter.

The kit is pretty much plug and play, the only thing you need to do is reverse the wires on the connector that plugs into your stock 9006 harness. I didn't do anything to the housing. I really only had to aim the drivers side headlight because it was damm near aimed right at the ground in front of the car.

I chucked the brackets that came with it because i use Black RTV silicon adheasive which dries hard but gives a little cusioning. Those fit perfect right up front right above your high beams.

The lights are about 4 times brighter than my silverstars, and much brighter than my 130 watt fogs.

Nice quality kit, The clubgp guys are all over these things.

doug93sc
02-01-2007, 01:25 PM
Thank you very much...I am going to buy set right now.

My93SC
02-01-2007, 02:56 PM
I want them let me know when I can get them for my 93!