Projector lens development for 89-93 style Tbirds?

phils89sc

I work at a PC and Printer Service and Repair company here in Charlotte, NC. We also have a division of our company that sells the HID light kits and high intensity bulb replacements for just about every car under the sun.

What I want to know is if anyone is interested in developing or getting developed a set of HID LENSES, not just a bulb/ballast kit for our 89-93 Tbirds. I myself have an 89 SC, and have cleaned up the factory lenses using the wetsanding and high speed buffing technique. This works ok, for a little while, but the lenses will eventually yellow again.

If I get enough interest in this, I may be able to convince one or more of our vendors to make a prototype for possible development, or maybe someone already has an idea or better yet, actual designs on paper for the projection type lenses. This could also apply to 1994-1995 as well.

We currently have the HID kits for the 89-93 & 94-97 Tbirds, but they utilize the factory lenses. Sure they would be better than stock bulbs, but the way I see it, to get the maximum gains from the HID's requires new lenses that WILL yellow after a couple of years and then you have to go buy new lenses again.

If you are interested, either email me at phils90@bellsouth.net, or go to www.brightheadlights.com and check out what we have and leave us some mail. If enough of us can get onboard and show a demand for these projector lenses, there may be a chance we get get the ball rolling on development and production.

Thanks,

Phil Stocker

If they can design the lenses to focus the light well with minimal refracting glare and correct placement, I would certainly consider them. I have been looking for an alternative, especially now.

My lenses are slightly yellow. After installing Silverstar bulbs last night, I was amazed that the difference was not actually that significant. I could see the color difference when looking at the surrounding glow, but output was not increased significantly. I know this is because of the terrible yellow lenses, which aren't even that yellow, due to the fact that I have these silverstars on my Wrangler also. The Wrangler uses glass housings, and the difference between its stock halogens and its new silverstars was incredible. The low beams are as bright as the old high beams! In addition, a friend had a new ranger with very clear lenses to compare to my stock halogen headlamps on my Thunderbird. Both the ranger lamps & Thunderbird lamps have similar performance because they are both Ford units. However, the Halogen bulbs in the ranger looked very white compared to the same brand & type bulbs in my Thunderbird. Another consequence of the yellowing.

It is unfortunate that the manufacturers switched to plastic from glass supposedly for expense. These plastic units are 200 a piece new from Ford, the old glass was 300. I would have gladly paid an extra 100 to have flawless output for the life of my car!!

If you did want to go the new route, you can go to autozone and get new ones for around 130-160. Or try online at www.autozone.com they should be listed under collision parts.

I'll definitely buy! But only if you produce the '96-'97 style..

hell, I'll pay up to $400/pc if I have to. (Not trying to set a price or nothing, but that's what they'd be worth to ME on my baby!)

It might be a prob to satisfy everyone...

Chris

I own a xr7 and would be very interested in the lenses. I'm tired of the yellow factor setup. Keep us posted.
Steve J.

phils89sc,

How about a group buy on what you offer now. I would be interested in the 9007 Bi-Xenon Kit.

Do we have another person who makes a post and has a reliability issue??? If we send our money, do we wait forever to get a response?

Where ya at Phil... We have questions.

Anthony

Ditto on the 96-97' Head light style...

I plan on upgrading to the clear 96-97' headlights but I've also noted in another post on this board that true HID lighting systems require the use of parabolic projector lenses (such as the ones seen on BMW's, Lexus, Infiniti, even Volkswagen's Passat)

I was considering actually assembling some units myself when I get the time and money as a little secret project, but it would be great to upgrade my 94-95 plastic composite yellow lenses to nice clean and clear 96-97 clear projector lenses with HID.

Also, could your companies do something about the making HID foglights???????

don't forget

i like the idea what might be an approximate price??

don't forget if we change the headlights - we need to also change the corner lights (blinkers) to something without those little ripples in them. I don't know maybe the corners from the 97 fits. whatever though, we can't have perfectly clear head lights with rippled corner lights.

jim

Nobody Ever Developed The Kit. WHAT THE FAULK?.

This post is almost 4 years old and the guy hasnt posted on the board since this post do you really think bringing this post up is gonna get him interested again????

Im willing to bet he doesnt have the bird anymore

Back