96 SC??? body panel questions

96bird

I have a 96 4.6L... someday Im looking into making my very own SC out of it... or maybe.... Ford was looking into making and SVT Thunderbird for 1998 and it fell through.... Ive got all these ideas for it (will have a 4.6L DOHC Aluminum block (why not just buy a '03 Cobra Motor)) ... but its got to look the part too.... does anyone know if the doors and such are the same that the rear bumper cover (or valence, whatever its called) and side skirts will fit onto the 96 97 body?? from what Ive heard... the 89-93 bumper covers fit on the 94-95 and the body didnt change much for the 96-97 from the doors back... I think it might just be some plastic body molding put on the doors of the 96-97... Id be willing to take that stuff off if fitting the skirts required so.... thanks a lot.

The birds got a long way before I get close to what I want but:
Where do I look to buy a T5 tranny???

Matt G.
Cincinnati

1996 Thunderbird LX

yeahh

HELL IF YOU CAN GET A 94-95 REAR BUMPER AND SKIRT SETUP...03 cobra motor sounds sweet haha...Also late model cobra brake swap with 98 cobra rims....nice..niceeee

If you are going Mod motor power, a T-5 will not bolt up, you would have to use a T-45 or a T-56 6speed for the mod motors. Them and the 5.0 family have different bolt patters on the trannys.

Also, I think with the blower on a 03 DOHC, you would need like a 4" cowl hood. Its kinda of tall. Some one correct me if I am wrong.

So, the body panels fit... thats very very good to hear...now I just have to find them... :-\ also wanna put the xenon air dam up front.... but their skirts make me wanna cringe... too many curves... and I dont like that the tail pipes run through a cut out in the rear valence ( http://www.digitalstorefronts.com/store/temp6.asp?cartid=3678&ItemNum=X5640 )...... the stock SC ones are much more subtle and look so much better in my opinion....I was looking more closely today... I think those plastic body molding do have to come off to put the skirts on... its all good though... Im doing all the body stuff at one time... then some nice new glossy black paint :-D....

For those that have done it... what springs do you suggest for the 1.5" lowering... Im leaning toward Eibach... any input??

yeah... the blower is too tall for the stock hood... but I dont think the 4" is necessary... if thats the case... Ill consider centrifugal... but I still love roots and screw type!! Ive been told they arent as effecient i.e. it takes more power away from the motor to run them when comparing to how much power they put out... I dont really like the cowl look on the 96-97 bird very much... I like the lines of the stock hood...

Thanks for the tranny info... thatll help a lot..

As for the brakes... thats part of the plan... Cobra Brakes and some Cobra 17" rims

Matt G.
Cincinnati

1996 Thunderbird LX

Last edited:
Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll I have a T45 lyin around:O)~......S/T springs all the way!!!!.

Back