IC Fan installation...

J

jpaitala

With what have you guys attached the fan to the IC??
Does anyone have any pics of the process??

Have you just attached it with screws??

Thanks.

I have always had good luck with these nylon mounts:

PG16-R2.gif

The picture is from www.perma-cool.com

The nylon "nails" go through the IC and then poke through a mounting tab that secures it like a tie wrap. The mounting pads also are foam backed to protect the fins.

Can I use screws trough the holes as pointed in the picture??
No one sells those nylon mounts here... :mad:

Attachments

• puhallin.jpg
    puhallin.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 201
i dont think so

I dont think it would be wise to drill into the intercooler. Im not sure on that, but thats just my personal thoughts. Probably asking for a vaccuum or boost leak or something like that. Wait and see what someone else says though.

Kyle

You're propably right!!
I'll have to figure out something else then...

You could probably use those "regular" nylon tie straps - the kind they make for holding together bundles of wire? I've seen them at almost every auto parts store or electrical supply store I've ever been in. They just don't have the square piece of plastic at the end. You'd probably have to insert in between the last row of fins and the edge of the intercooler, and wrap it around and pull the end through tight to lock it... Maybe use two per corner for extra strength...

Temporarily just use some tie wraps pushed throught he fins, just like those that George showed. Then order some of those and install them when the come. They'll certainly look better.

re: mounting IC fan

See http://www.mn12performance.com E-mail him as he will sell you the poke-thru nylon IC Fan Mounting Kit for $10 plus extra postage for out of the country delivery. Also there is a page showing the installation procedure on his site.

I used the nylon straps George posted on mine. Theyre a pain to get through the IC but they hold the fan on very well.

-Travis

I bought the fan mounting kit from Rich Thompson at MN12 Peformance when I upgraded to a dbl IC. The kit he sold me was just like what came with the fan kit I had bought from him earlier.

It was 4 long and thin (nail looking) pins with push on clips and rubber washers. Not the nylon type mounts that George posted.

I found it was easier to hold the fan on the IC and push the pins thru the fan mounting holes and the IC core. Then trim length on the other side with wire cutters and install push on clips. I also used a drop of glue to keep the clip from vibrating loose. This requires two people and the rubber bellows must be unbolted and pulled back enough to reach in and install the clips and glue.

It would probably be easier to trim the pins to the correct length before installing.

If you can't get the correct mounting kit, use baling wire. Don't put screws into the IC face or the core will be punctured and will leak.

David

I/C FAN

JUST WRAP THEM AROUND THE WHOLE I/C ....TOP IS EASY LOWER ONE PUSH BEHIND THE ACCORDION AT THE BACK OF THE I/C... FAST FREDDIE

Back