car idling rough

tillotson_david

Hello new to the thunderbird world. Just bought a 1989 SC for 1250. Ran real good then about a week after i bought it started running rough. Idle would drop down to 500 would stay there for a while then go back to normal, did that once then the next day did it again. After that it started doing it more frequently. Now it is doing it all the time.
Ran a code scan on it came back with three codes. 1) code 32, which is the egr vavle not seated. 2) code 46, coil pack 2 (b) circuit failed. 3) code 87, primary fuel pump circuit failure.
I dont know which one of the problems would make it run rough like it is doing. Don't really want to replace the egr valve if can help it. Don't know what the coil pack 2 (b) circuit is. And don't know if i have to replace the fuel pump if the circuit failed.
Car is still running, but rough i would appreciate all the help i could get it has 158,000 miles on it but was running real strong before this happened.
Thanks again for any help you can give me love my new sc and want it back the way it was. thanks.

tillotson_david said:
1) code 32, which is the egr vavle not seated. 2) code 46, coil pack 2 (b) circuit failed. 3) code 87, primary fuel pump circuit failure.... Car is still running, but rough i would appreciate all the help i could get it has 158,000 miles on it but was running real strong before this happened.
The 32 is rarely the coil pack itself, but rather the DIS. You might try disconnecting it and/or removing it and applying a new thin layer of heat sink grease to the base, especially if the problem happens after it warms up. When you loose a coil circuit, you're only running on 4 cylinders which means NO power and a rough running engine. I had this same problem about 1 month ago; turned out to be the DIS which I ended up replacing.
FYI, the DIS is the gray plastic box mounted on top of the A/C compressor bracket. Says "DIS" on the top, so should be easy to find.
Someone else will have to help you with the EGR valve code.

Is your car stalling? If so the fuel pump circuit failure comes up when it stalls so there is very likely no problem there. As mentioned you may want to check for vacuum leaks. But according to the codes you are getting you may consider investigating the DIS and the coil pack as you may have some problems there. Also have you changed your plugs and wires? Do this first before doing any maintainance to the DIS and coil pack. I had recently had some problems similar with my SHO and I replaced the DIS, O2 sensors and EGR. But my main problem was the crank sensor which I had to take to the shop to replace. THough I doubt it is the crank sensor as I believe that the SC won't start if it fails plus you would get a constant upshift light.

Just a thought here. Those codes that you pulled are resident in the memory. I had an EGR code when I purchsed my car. I cleared the codes and it hasn't been back since. My guess is that it was fixed, but never cleared from the computer. To get an accurate assesment of what is wrong, you need to clear you codes. And because the EGR is emission related, you will have to clear the keep alive memory as well. That is easily done by removing the (-) cable from the battery for about 5 mins or so. The relearn procedures are quite simple. Run the car in "P" or "N" (for a 5-speed) for about a min and then in gear for about a min. Then about a 10 mile drive will do the trick. And don't 'get on it' during that 10 miles. I just did that process this afternoon and my car runs better now. Then, if you are getting a new code, you will have an accurate assesment of what is wrong. More often than not, a rough idle will be caused by something that will not cause a CE light. I went round and round with mine for about 3 months and finally got it right...the lower IC tube had broken its seal. I went through O2 sensors and a Purge Canister Solenoid, along with a whole lot more headache. Check all your vacuum lines and seals in the supercharger system. Spray some starter fluid on the joints of the IC tubes. If it revs, you have a leak. Easily fixed without taking it to the mechanic. tbird88 has some great gaskets for IC tubes. Sorry I got long winded.

Last edited:
Back