crazy towing question - opinions?

tbird88

The plates and inspection and insurance on the pickup are expired so...

I'm debating flat-towing an '89 SC 300 miles back to the hacienda with my '89 SC auto. Towed many a car in the past with a rope/chain/etc but that was when they made REAL transmissions. Can an AOD w/3.27's handle it?

I'd be towing from 600ft above sea level down to the upper Texas coast. Don't mind keepin' her in 3rd all the way back, whatcha think? Don't really wanna wait until next weekend when the truck would be legal, should I head out in the mornin' after that SC?

thanks,

'bird

180 thermostat
3:73s
94 SC blower pulley
92 up octane

or stock and dont mash it:D

only thing to happen is over-heat trans(up hill) or blow an already weak head gasket(up hills):D

Guess the 5spd would be a better idea...NOT!

:)

'bird

1229_2406.jpg

89Auto? pulling an 89?? I'd pull it far enough to park it in a safe place, wait a week and then go back with the truck and a trailer from UHaul myself, or just drive up there with a friend, and rent the smallest UHaul+carrier that you can get by with.. I wouldn't risk towing a 3800 lb car THAT far with a strap with the SC. Also whatever you do, don't run it in 3rd gear for 300 miles.

Oh well, good luck with whatever you decide.

Hmm...now that's an idea. Pick the car up, rent a ministorage, park it, go back next weekend and get it with my truck.

'bird

an aod will not handle that trip. you should never tow that car with the rear wheels on the ground at over 30 mph for more than 50 miles unless you either own a trans shop or like to spend money recklessly. i'd suggest a car dolly with the rear wheels on the dolly and the front on the ground. do not rely on the steering wheel lock alone to keep your front wheels strait get a 6 foot length of a soft rope as thick as your index finger, fold it in half and put it through the steering wheel on the left side so the two cut ends come back through the folded end creating a secure loop on the wheel. hang the cut ends out the top of the door and pull them tight. now close the door and tie three good knots in the rope so it wont slip back through the door and you're off. if youre front end looks a little low just take dips at an angle and go slow. if your car is lowered get a car hauler. i tow mine like this all the time and have no problems. it will save a lot of weight strain on the towing vehicle over a car hauler. if you have any questions call me at 805-200-6937 i've been a towtruck driver for 9 years. good luck, mike

Last edited:
How would going 300 miles in third hurt anything? You would obviously be going slower so RPM's wouldnt be a factor, and the OD band is way weaker than 3rd....

My take on it is: remove the four bolts on the driveshaft of the car your towing, push the shaft forward so it absolutely cannot contact the pinion yoke and secure it, that way nothing but the rear end turns when towing it. Takes about 15 minutes with a wratcheting wrench and a breaker bar. Use a car dolly and a hitch on your bird, go slow in third, stay out of boost as much as possible and as long as you dont have any hills to climb, it should be OK. I wouldnt do it with a strap or chain though, thats just asking for trouble.

Hmmm.. look at the date of the original message.. the thread's a bit stale by now. ;)

BTW, 50 miles is too far IMO. I wouldn't tow it more than 5 with the driveshaft hooked up. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back