Shifter Removal?

blown11

I need to remove my auto shifter handle, and I used the search and they say there is a U shaped pin about halfway down, but I can not seem to locate this, I can not seem to figure out how to get this thing off. Any help would be useful, thanks..

-lance

There is no clip on the older cars. You push in the button and pull up real hard. I think it has to be in Neutral or Park. Careful you don't smack yourself in the face when it lets go.

Okay thanks, I also need help removing one other part. The knob to turn on the lights, I need to take it off to take off the front part of the dash. And I pull and pull and pull and that sucker won't budge. any help on that one?

Pull the knob all the way out. There should be a small slot running parallel to the axis of the knob near the end of the knob (towards the dash). Inside is a little spring clip that you have to push towards you as you pull the knob off. You should be able to get it with a small flat blade screw driver.

On the shifter handle the knob does not have to be pushed in for the handle to be removed but...if you'll notice, the handle is made in 2 pieces. If you don't do it right, that's what you'll wind up with...2 pieces. The lower sleeve has a shoulder that extends up inside the upper section, it's a glued joint and can separate if ya don't hold yer mouth just right when pullin' up on the shifter handle. Be prepared for it to "break" but you can glue/epoxy it back together very easily.
As far as the lower section, it's a tight slip-fit on the shifter tower/lever. Slides off, slides back on.

By the way, there is usually a NOS (brand new Ford) shifter handle on eBay just about every week that sells for $25 + shipping, sold by seller dcmustang@vnet.net. I got one and highly recommend dealing with them, fast & courteous service.
Matter of fact, there's one on there right now...shift handle auction

You might want to contact them directly and purchase one, they probably have plenty of 'em in stock. Took mine outa the package today and it really feels cool...can't wait to install it!

take care,

'bird

i-1.JPG

Back